Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured Credit Card Question...

tag
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA Secured Credit Card Question...

Congrats. Use it, pay it off! Try to only let 1% report (1-9% will work but 1% is obviously best). Once it reports...pay it off in full prior to due date if you are actively trying to raise score. Once you see the card in your online banking account list...you will see the "STATEMENT DATE". This is the day they report your balance to CRA's. 

So what you want to do is this for max score boost...

You have 3k limit. Let's say your Statement Date is November 15 (thus being the 15th of every month thereafter) -- Your DUE DATE is usually like 25 days after that so let's say your DUE DATE is December 10th. 

On November 14th -- you want to pay your balance down to $30 --- which is 1% of your credit limit. The balance will report to EX, EQ and Transunion on the 15th and then if you want to just get it out the way...pay off the $30 on the 17th. Boom. You are done for that month and should see a nice little jump in score.  Use the card as much as you want just be sure to pay it down to $30 the day before your STATEMENT DATE....then you technically have 25 days to pay off the $30 but just get it out of the way early (If you are financially able of course).

SCRATCH all of this if you aren't trying to boost score. If you aren't actively trying to boost score at that moment just use your card..pay it off as soon as possible but always at least pay your minimums!! In a year...they are going to unsecure your card and probably give you a credit limit increase. Since you are starting with 3k...you may get something like 5k unsecured from them...which would set you up BIG TIME for some prime cards!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 11 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your approval and on your road to good credit.
Message 12 of 22
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your new credit card. I have been a BofA account holder for over 2 years. I started off with a secured card. And after one year exactly, BofA refunded me

my security deposit and doubled my credit limit. A few months later, I got approved for an additional four credit cards with them. I am extremely satisfied with BofA.

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 13 of 22
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Do you have any baddies on your reports?
Samsung mobile
Message 14 of 22
Star21gemini

Thanks all again! Well to be completely honest I had amazing credit when I was younger. I did screw up a few accounts and they went into collections after I lost my job. I couldn't afford to make payments Smiley Sad I had one account that remained in good standing throughout the hard times with Chase with a 5,000 credit line.
After I started working I paid all of the accounts that went into collections and started fresh. I didn't apply for any card since 2007. I checked my credit karma score and history and there is no derrogatory marks, I pay almost the full balance every month and my credit utilization is 3%. A few months ago I had opened up an Auto loan with Capital One. I have been making on time payments with that as well as with Chase. I just figured let me try to open a secured credit card with BOA because of my past history. I didn't want any hard hits that were going to result in denial. (grrr)
From the looks of it, I am on a pretty good start and I need to continue working on rebuilding my score up. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 22
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Great story thanks for sharing! Your on your way! Congrats!
Samsung mobile
Message 16 of 22
knoregs
Established Contributor

Congrats! Call and ask for the rewards package to be added. Might as well earn some cash back for your everyday purchases. 3% gas, 2% groceries, 1% everything else is not to shabby.

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 17 of 22
Star21gemini

I haven't called yet, but I will definitely request the reward benefits!

Thank you all Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 22
Khano
Established Member

@Star21gemini wrote:

I haven't called yet, but I will definitely request the reward benefits!

Thank you all Smiley Happy

I had the card for some 5-6 months and then called to graduate..... didn't have to wait for a full 12 month to ask.... also, at the same time, I asked to PC to their 1-2-3 rewards card. Just yesterday got a CLI of $500.00

I'm sure you'll do great with this card...... Good Luck!!!

Message 19 of 22
bd2eazy

i just got this card... Wait a minute who do i call for that rewards package?!?!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.