Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Travel Rewards Approval Odds

tag
Shock
Established Contributor

BOA Travel Rewards Approval Odds

Wondering if you guys can help me..I have the Quicksilver with no AF and no FTF, but they don't provide the chip, hence I am interested in this card.

Little info:

Ive been banking with them for 10 years.

I had a BOA platinum that went negative 120+ a few years back. All due to fall off by the end of this year. They closed my account but I paid them in full shortly after. So I didn't burn them.

Then I got a BOA secured like 4 years ago, had it open for maybe 1 year and a half, everything paid on time and in full, then closed it.

1 INQ on EX in th last 6 months, none on EQ or TU

Total EX 7 EQ 8 TU 1

I will only report a balance on my AMEX when I app.

Thoughts?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA Travel Rewards Chances

@Shock wrote:

Wondering if you guys can help me..I have the Quicksilver with no AF and no FTF, but they don't provide the chip, hence I am interested in this card.

Little info:

Ive been banking with them for 10 years.

I had a BOA platinum that went negative 120+ a few years back. All due to fall off by the end of this year. They closed my account but I paid them in full shortly after. So I didn't burn them.

Then I got a BOA secured like 4 years ago, had it open for maybe 1 year and a half, everything paid on time and in full, then closed it.

1 INQ on EX in th last 6 months, none on EQ or TU

Total EX 7 EQ 8 TU 1

I will only report a balance on my AMEX when I app.

Thoughts?

Probably depends on where you are traveling. BOA is chip-and-sig so it is really not that valuable. Places that take chip-and-sig will most likely take a mag strip card as well. If you are going to mostly big cities, I don't think I would worry much.

If you want a chip-and-pin card (the one that is actually worth using), there are a few but it is pretty limited. Chase supposedly coming out with it for CSP "later this year."

Having said that, I have the BOA Travel Americard and used it exclusively last year in major cities in Europe. Worked fine except at one automated train station in France that required chip-and-pin. I just went to the service counter with a person and had to wait in a small line. I think it is a good card with easy point redemption.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 2 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

do you think i have good approval odds?

Message 3 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think you have a good chance to get it.  Its only one inquiry.  Go for it!

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

would it be beneficial to wait till my BOA derog clears?

Message 5 of 12
Trivolve
Contributor

@Shock wrote:

would it be beneficial to wait till my BOA derog clears?

I would say if you don't need the card now, then wait, no harm in that unless you have other plans. They were willing to extend you a secured card in the past though, so at least that's some good relationship, though of course secured -> unsecured is quite a leap.

[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 6 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

I dont need it now...but I want to open it now to establish a longer history with the. I guess in the grand scheme it doesnt matter...but I'm anxious to stockpile my portfolio now.

Message 7 of 12
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

@Shock wrote:

do you think i have good approval odds?

No one here can say for sure, but I'd say your odds are good. If you wait, you might get a higher CL.

Overall a good card... I personally wouldnt get it just for the chip though. More about getting back in with BOA... nothing wrong with that. I expect when Chase starts offering chip-and-pin, others will have to follow. And this will probably be one of the ones that will get it as well as they were one of the first big ones to offer any kind of EMV with no fees.

Your scores are close to CSP range. Seeing that you already have freedom, I'd suggest that instead. You can look through some other threads to see what scores people had when they got theirs. AF, but we'll worth it if you travel... and it sounds like you do.

EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 8 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

I don't travel much outside of the country. But I am looking to take a trip every three months or so.within the US. Not sure my spend will warrant an annual fee..tough call.

Message 9 of 12
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

@Shock wrote:

I don't travel much outside of the country. But I am looking to take a trip every three months or so.within the US. Not sure my spend will warrant an annual fee..tough call.

Yeah, tough call then. 20% off point bookings for hotel with CSP. But that's not the best use of UR points if you had more spend. The constant 1.6 from BOA travel with checking account may be better depending on your spend. 

EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.