Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA annual fee-formerly secured card.

tag
YahComb
Established Contributor

BOA annual fee-formerly secured card.

My fee just posted on 9/24, the beginning of my 14th statement. I knew the day was coming when i would have to make a decision about what i wanted to do with my BOA card.

Had 2 chats with BOA today about this. Started one online before leaving work where they basically towed the line-if the account starts with an annual fee it stays even if you PC. Said the only way to waive it would be to close the account. So i just called the backdoor and was more or less told the same(didn't mention anything about closing though), but he also said he cannot make the change. Then i asked for a supervisor. Didn't even get a chance to threaten to close it and the guy came back and said the manager is going to credit the fee. I'm taking that to mean that the fee will still show up again 1 year from now and ill have to try the routine again.

I will update if my online profile actually changes to show my Annual Fee is Zero now, but i doubt it. If it doesn't, then at the end of my 24th statement i will probably just call to cancel. If at that time i still can't get the fee truly removed, it's getting chopped, because i have no desire to have to call them up every 12 months to beg them not to charge me again this year.

But i will take this small victory for now! Smiley Happy

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
supersam101
Contributor

Re: BOA annual fee-formerly secured card.

Damn Bank of America i hope they wave my annual fee too in November. Cat Sad

Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 2 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

My fee just posted on 9/24, the beginning of my 14th statement. I knew the day was coming when i would have to make a decision about what i wanted to do with my BOA card.

Had 2 chats with BOA today about this. Started one online before leaving work where they basically towed the line-if the account starts with an annual fee it stays even if you PC. Said the only way to waive it would be to close the account. So i just called the backdoor and was more or less told the same(didn't mention anything about closing though), but he also said he cannot make the change. Then i asked for a supervisor. Didn't even get a chance to threaten to close it and the guy came back and said the manager is going to credit the fee. I'm taking that to mean that the fee will still show up again 1 year from now and ill have to try the routine again.

I will update if my online profile actually changes to show my Annual Fee is Zero now, but i doubt it. If it doesn't, then at the end of my 24th statement i will probably just call to cancel. If at that time i still can't get the fee truly removed, it's getting chopped, because i have no desire to have to call them up every 12 months to beg them not to charge me again this year.

But i will take this small victory for now! Smiley Happy

Thats more than likely what you will have to do every year unfortunately.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

YC: I thought you had PC'd right after graduation of the secured card; did you not get the AFless Cash Rewards card?

I'm not going to sweat the fee as I'll be chasing their TravelRewards Preferred card someday I think, and even today it appears I can get a EMV chip once my own secured graduates, and that's the cheapest EMV possible for me if I get stuck going to Europe.

I suspect with your profile in a year you can PC to one of their higher tier cards if you so choose, and BOFA appears to be trying to fix their image and products to where they may be a good option down the road.

        
Message 4 of 6
YahComb
Established Contributor

my credit posted late last night, so i get at least 12 months of a no fee card.

REV: Only person i've seen recently get the AF removed was cain-and he also didn't get it removed at graduation. it was a couple months later after the next AF had posted. You can go back and read from the last few years so many people have product changed at graduation to what is normally an AF-Free card only to learn that the AF is stuck to the agreement. They usually just tell you you can close it and apply for a new card.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 5 of 6
supersam101
Contributor

Wow that sucks so I guess I might have to reapply for a student card or a regular cash rewards to get no annual fee. If I had know this I wouldn't of taken the hard pull for a credit limit increase and just apply for a new card instead.
Quick question though is it possible to combine 2 cards credit limit into 1 and close the other ?
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.