Did you mean: 

BOA has me irritated with CLI

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Re: BOA has me irritated with CLI

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

question: are we suppose to EXPECT auto CLI from ALL our CC lenders??? sorry, im newb to credit. maybe i'm going about this whole CLI thing the wrong way. enlighten a newb pls. thanks!

It very much depends on the bank.

US Bank, yes, expect an auto CLI within a year of opening, and about 40% of CL as the CLI.

Capital One? Maybe, if you are in a Credit Steps program. Otherwise, not auto, but can be SP request.

AMEX? If you really push the lmit hard, you may see an auto CLI. I went from $2k to $3k by running to within $50 of the $2k. Kind of hard to do with a $10,000 limit. Otherwise, it's easier to use the 3X SP CLI request (see separate thread)

Chase? Yeah, no to the auto CLI, or at least, not often. HP CLI if asking.

Citi has a SP request option, have not heard much about auto CLI

Discover - Generally SP CLI requests, and random amounts are returned, but keep hitting the luv button to try again. They may give auto CLI if one pushes the limit.

I have never ask for a CLI increase with my Chase because I knew it was a HP. I have had quite a few increases over the last couple of years...all automatic.

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 31 of 55
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

question: are we suppose to EXPECT auto CLI from ALL our CC lenders??? sorry, im newb to credit. maybe i'm going about this whole CLI thing the wrong way. enlighten a newb pls. thanks!

There are a couple of things at play with your question.  First is how often the creditor considers a customer eligible for consideration for a CLI.  The other is whether or not one's credit profile and income qualify for a CLI.  You can expect a CLI if both of those are good to go.  If one or the other is a no-go then you can't expect a CLI whether auto or customer initiated.

@NRB525 wrote:

Chase? Yeah, no to the auto CLI, or at least, not often. HP CLI if asking.

As with any creditor it really depends on one's profile and income.  Like many here, I've never seen an auto CLI from Chase.  However, like some here, my wife has received a number of them on her Chase card.  She's gone from ~$6K to ~$17K all with just auto CLI's.

@NRB525 wrote:

The bank algorithm may look at the cardholder activity and say "You have a $2,000 limit, of which you have used $1,500 and paid it down. We are fine with that level of risk and you have not exceeded your credit limit". If you take the $2,000 card to $1,900 on a regular basis, that may lead to an auto CLI. With a card that has a $11,000 limit and $10 in charges every three months? The bank algorithm looks at that and wonders why the card is even open. "No auto CLI for you!"

People put far too much emphasis on usage IMO. I've received auto and requested CLI's on cards with little to no usage. I've had cards with heavy usage that didn't qualify for CLI's. Profile and income are really what drive the increases.
Message 32 of 55
audia4
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I like to share some posts about that but one of them i believe is buried well inside the 969 reply topic "Barclays, let's put our heads together" thread and there's not enough time tonight to dig that out.

I did a search, which brought up the thread and when you click on it, the mod (Kenny) has moved the original thread and gave a link. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mod-Removed-Posts-Private/Moved-posts-from-CC-to-CCA-on-10-20-Kenny-... When you click this link I get a message "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue"   Smiley Frustrated

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 33 of 55
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First I've ever heard of an auto increase button. I have a hunch this CSR was blowing smoke.

Oh no something to hear like that is not new at all. (if it does actually exists)

Dunno about BofA besides OP's experience from that correspondence but i do know, and it's been posted as much, that Barclays has that "flip the button" thing in play for auto-cli's. So it's been told to some their cardholders anyway.

Or they used to anyway. Barclays might have even changed that after they pulled their prequal off air way back when but Barclays are the one's i first heard about a "auto-cli button" for computer generated auto raises to limits.

With BofA you CANNOT simply sit back and wait. You have to be proactive and go after the limit you expect. They are not softies and WILL require a solid HP but you bet your boots that they do make it well worth the pull for many here.

Bottom line is don't just relax and think no matter how well you handle all your accounts including BofA they will eventually SP CLI those cards because they won't, except some lucky few as of late who have been getting them like that.

If you need a better limit with BofA you MUST be aggressive and work for it and if that means a HP so be it.

+1

Though I did get a SP CLI with them X months ago. Noticed I went from $17,000 to $17,900. This card intiially had a $2,000 limit. Two HP's later now I got $17,000. Worth it IMO specially since they rejected me at first and had to recon for the card lol.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 34 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you here. I never expect an AUTO and will never be sad if I don't get one. If I want a higher line, I will request one. If it is an HP, then it is what it is. 

Message 35 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't fathom anyone complaining about taking ONE hp to get potentially HUGE clis on not only one but THREE cards. Shoot for the stars baby
Message 36 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA is just weird and difficult to deal with in general. I'm a cardholder but not a fan of them. I think they're rather impersonal (very large institution) and not very customer-friendly. I don't plan to take a HP for a CLI from them anytime soon. I wanted to like them when I first got a card from them, but they've not been very customer focused or helpful.

Good luck OP on whatever you decide. Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@audia4 wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

I took 3 HP's trying to get a CLI (the BoA card was my lowest bank card limit) over a 16 month period - always PIF, never did get a CLI ended up closing the card and adding BoA to my "don't bother with their products" list.

Well that sucks. I have gotten to the point I stopped using my reg BOA like I use to because of no increase. I still use the NCL one for cruising since we get double the points and I can use it for OBC on our cruises. The Nursing one I got because it was JUST FRICKEN COOL to have one that said nursing on it. LOL

At this point, if they don't automatically increase in the 3-4 months like this rep said, I'll sock drawer them and use the cards that treat me better and only put a $10 charge on these every few months to keep them active.

IMHO you should be using cards that give you the highest rate of return anyway. That's just my 2 cents. Again, best of luck to you!

Agreed. My Sallie Mae is my lowest limit card by far. Over a year and I've never gotten a CLI. No way I'm SDing it.

Message 38 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@audia4 wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I like to share some posts about that but one of them i believe is buried well inside the 969 reply topic "Barclays, let's put our heads together" thread and there's not enough time tonight to dig that out.

I did a search, which brought up the thread and when you click on it, the mod (Kenny) has moved the original thread and gave a link. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mod-Removed-Posts-Private/Moved-posts-from-CC-to-CCA-on-10-20-Kenny-... When you click this link I get a message "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue"   Smiley Frustrated

Note the part in the URL which says Mod-Removed-Posts-Private.

Message 39 of 55
audia4
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed. My Sallie Mae is my lowest limit card by far. Over a year and I've never gotten a CLI. No way I'm SDing it.

Yea, my Sallie is not my lowest card, but it is kinda one of my oldest when I went on an app spree in the beginning. I just figured it would go up by now and not have to request it. I still use it for making payments on my student loans, which is why I originally got the card in the first place.

Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.