Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA's pre-qual offers TOTALLY unreliable

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA's pre-qual offers TOTALLY unreliable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Customer-initiated CLIs are HP on TU 99% of the time.  Some people have been lucky to get solicited SP CLIs, and some of us have even had the rare auto-CLI (I got one last spring 11 years into the account).  

OP, there is a difference between prequalifying and marketing with all card issuers.  I don't know of any that say "we have nothing for you, get lost!" If they don't have something solid for you, they all offer something they think may be a possibility. All of BOA's prequals for me have been spot-on to the exact APR and they have been extremely generous to my family.  Keep checking back and look for an offer with a single APR listed (i.e. 15.99%, not "11.99% - 21.49% depending upon creditworthiness") - those are the real prequalifications.

My wife's FICO is over 810 and she gets the we recommend page as well.  I think they have changed it recently to give bogus offers to everyone.

Message 11 of 14
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

K-in-Boston, Chase tell's me to get lost every time I try their prequal 😀

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BoA prequal was solid.  I has a single APR and it had different verbiage.  It also popped up in my bank account screen.

Message 13 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Customer-initiated CLIs are HP on TU 99% of the time.  Some people have been lucky to get solicited SP CLIs, and some of us have even had the rare auto-CLI (I got one last spring 11 years into the account).  

OP, there is a difference between prequalifying and marketing with all card issuers.  I don't know of any that say "we have nothing for you, get lost!" If they don't have something solid for you, they all offer something they think may be a possibility. All of BOA's prequals for me have been spot-on to the exact APR and they have been extremely generous to my family.  Keep checking back and look for an offer with a single APR listed (i.e. 15.99%, not "11.99% - 21.49% depending upon creditworthiness") - those are the real prequalifications.

My wife's FICO is over 810 and she gets the we recommend page as well.  I think they have changed it recently to give bogus offers to everyone.

From my experience and anecdotal evidence elsewhere here, BOA doesn't really seem to differentiate much with approvals and credit lines once FICO scores are over 720.  Like Amex, credit scores seem to only be a small part of the underwriting at BOA and it seems to be certain factors in your credit profile itself, as well as income and any existing relationship with them that contribute more when compared to lending decisions by others.

@medicgrrl wrote:
K-in-Boston, Chase tell's me to get lost every time I try their prequal 😀

Haha, OK I can understand that.  They're the same for me until I get those green check marks under Offers.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.