Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA secured early graduation.

tag
Bunnylocks
New Contributor

BOA secured early graduation.

On track...

I started off with a credit score in the high 500's, I think my Equifax was somewhere around 561 when I applied for a BOA secured card back in December 2012 and was denied. At the time I had a few unpaid charge offs, an old judgment, and basically decided that I was going to wait until my judgment fell off in August of this year to clean up my credit. I reluctantly decided to give Capital One secured card a try (figured my credit couldn't get any worse), surprisingly I was approved with a 200 required deposit.

During my search for a secured card, I found myfico.com, and started reading. I got super energized and started disputing my old debt, and settled my old First Premier card. I got lucky and managed to get Experian and Transunion to remove my judgment early, but no such luck with Equifax. Within one month my Transunion shot up 80+ points, and I was at 702.

I applied for BOA secured card again in February and was approved. I called after I received the card to get added to the cash reward programs, they obliged. I initially secured it with 1,500, and later increased it to 3,200.  I put all my large purchases on my card, sometimes 2-3k in purchases and paid it off in full each month. 

Fast forward five months, I got the credit itch and decided to call their credit department to see if I could qualify for an early graduation. Spoke to a very kind lady (Joanne) who said she would have to pull my credit report, and see what she could do for me. Not sure which buerer she pulled yet, but my scores at the time were 662 EX, 645 EQ, 676 TU. These are a bit low due to BOA reporting a 1,900 balance from last month, with 38% utilization.

Joanna put me on hold, came back and thanked me for my business, and told me that I have been making wonderful payments over the past few months -- I was sure this was a denial, was patiently waiting for her to say ‘but, unfortunately ’but amazingly she said that she was going to unsecure the card, and that my credit limit would remain the same, and that my deposit would be returned to me in two weeks via check. I thought, darn! I should have increased it to 5k when I had the extra cash.

My hope now is to get them to waive my annual fee; I will be calling back once I receive my check. I’ve read that others have been successful.

If it wasn't for this website, and dare I say Capital One I would have been just sitting and waiting for everything to fall off, rather than actually make some progress along the way. :-) At 31 and 10+ years of bad credit, and just giving up I have finally made it to the place I never thought I could.

I’m excited to share that I was also approved for Discover IT last month with a 1,500 CL. It’s the card I’ve been wishing for since I started my journey. I am now in the ‘gardening’ phase.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes to the boards! I have been a heavy lurker, but I wouldn't have made it this far without so many of you. 

Trish

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: BOA secured early graduation.

Congrats on the graduation you are moving in the right direction

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your recent successes and no more lurking.

We hope you'll continue to contribute and #PayItForward
Message 3 of 9
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Yup, congrats and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Its always great to hear the good stories rather than the more common bad ones. Keep it up!

Message 5 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Wow! Thats a great surprise! You were on a fastrak! Lol! Congrats! Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 9
Alkalinem0n0
Contributor

That's fantastic stuff! My 99/500 graduated last month and they gave me a CL of 5000 I applied for a travel rewards card with them this week and was approved for a CL of 2600. BofA have been fantastic in helping me build credit only got my first card last September! It's always encouraging to hear other good stories on this board!
BofA Cash Rewards 16 k|BofA Travel Rewards 10k|Gold Delta SkyMiles American Express 32k|Discover IT 7k|Chase Freedom 10k
Message 7 of 9
hot4u
Established Contributor

Congrats...

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 8 of 9
knoregs
Established Contributor

Congrats!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.