cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA sent me an offer to take a Questionnaire and receive a $40 Gas Card-UPDATE 1/22

tag
DI
Super Contributor

BOA sent me an offer to take a Questionnaire and receive a $40 Gas Card-UPDATE 1/22

I also had to mail a form off to try the AutoVantage Enhanced plan for 30 days. I don't need this plan.  I have it with my insurance.  I just want the $40. If I cancel it within 30 days, my card won't be charged and I keep my complimentary $40 gas card.

I do this all the time with companies who offers 3 in 1 scores and reports.  I never had a problem cancelling anything and never got charges.

Should I be concerned about signing up just to get $40 gas card?  Haven anybody else taken advantage of similar or same BOA's offers?

Message Edited by DI on 12-13-2009 03:59 PM
Message Edited by DI on 01-22-2010 02:38 PM
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA sent me an offer to take a Questionnaire and receive a $40 Gas Card

Cant speak for BOA or expience but Household Bank is also running the same deal. You sign up and they send you a $40 gas card and you are free for first thirty days. It says no obligation and you get to keep the gas card but I havent done it.
Message 2 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

Still waiting on my $40 Gas Card.  Bumping this to remind myself to cancel the membership before being charge.
Message 3 of 27
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I always ignore these offers because to cancel these gimmicks takes my time and then I have to rely on these organizations to cancel it.  I just don't want the hassle of dealing with it.  If it gets goofed up and you get charged the fee than the $40 you got for trying it looks like no bargain.  To each their own.
Message 4 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
I always ignore these offers because to cancel these gimmicks takes my time and then I have to rely on these organizations to cancel it.  I just don't want the hassle of dealing with it.  If it gets goofed up and you get charged the fee than the $40 you got for trying it looks like no bargain.  To each their own.

If something goes wrong, I'll dispute the charge with BOA.  BOA solicited the offer for the company.  My BOA card will get charged.  Soon as the membership letter arrives, I will cancel it the same day.  I hope the gas card comes with it the same day.  I'll use the gas card and then cancel the membership.  I wonder if I can make this a part-time job.  Trying out things for free gas cards.   I already received free pizzas and drinks for taking surveys.  

Message Edited by DI on 12-20-2009 11:33 AM
Message 5 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You do realize that the information from all those surveys you're completing is going into a clearinghouse's vast data repository which maintains a huge dossier of information on you, right? I'm not one for providing others with any more information that necessary.
Message 6 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
You do realize that the information from all those surveys you're completing is going into a clearinghouse's vast data repository which maintains a huge dossier of information on you, right? I'm not one for providing others with any more information that necessary.

I don't disclose any personal information.  I take surveys about new products before it hit the stores.  And sometimes I get to test the products before it hits the market.  

Message 7 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

DI wrote:

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

I don't disclose any personal informationI take surveys about new products before it hit the storesAnd sometimes I get to test the products before it hits the market.  

They know it is you and all the information is tabulated in a central database. Same goes for those supermarket discount cards. They know what you buy, how much and when. Surveys and offers are one of the cheapest ways for these data aggregators to collect information on your habits, opinions and interests.

Message 8 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

DI wrote:

I don't disclose any personal informationI take surveys about new products before it hit the storesAnd sometimes I get to test the products before it hits the market.  

They know it is you and all the information is tabulated in a central database. Same goes for those supermarket discount cards. They know what you buy, how much and when. Surveys and offers are one of the cheapest ways for these data aggregators to collect information on your habits, opinions and interests.

I have no problem with supermarkets keeping a tab of what I buy.  Maybe they will keep the products in stock for a change.  I had to complain to Kroger about not keeping enough Zero Calorie PowerAde in stock. I got that changed.  Plus, my discount card is tide into my Kroger 123 card so they pretty much no everything I buy anyway. It's a win win for both of us.  With the survey deal, I get paid $3.00 for each survey and an additional $3.00 to tryout a new product.  

Message Edited by DI on 12-20-2009 09:46 PM
Message Edited by DI on 12-20-2009 09:47 PM
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

DI wrote:

The surveys do not collect nor maintain any personally identifiable information.  I am in that business, marketing data and technology.  What we are interested in on surveys is the statistical data analysis using the law of large numbers.  We do maintain demographic categories, meaning if the information came from specific geographical or even income range as a general category, but not personally identifiable.  We like to know, for example, what 36-50 year old women from the North East buy.  We also like to know as a national average what these different groups buy, do, etc.  But we are not interested in the individual.  Indiviudal information is irrelevant.

However, you are correct on the shopping reward/affinity/loyalty/discount cards.  Those cards are designed to get to know you for "personalized" or what we refer to as "1 to 1" marketing.  We will use this to do similar statistical information by calculating the non-personal data attributes to be able to get to know our customer base as a whole, as a demographic segment and then with personal information....as the individual.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.