Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA took me back :)

tag
heatherbee
Valued Member

BOA took me back :)

Hello all.  In 2007 I had a BOA student visa, and boy did I neglect that little card!  When I hit rough financial seas, I ended up getting 180 day lates on my BOA account...yeah, not very responsible.  I grew up since then and out of curiosity (or stupidity??) I applied again for card, knowing that my BOA boo boo is still showing on my reports.  I got the typical "we are reviewing your application" page, and waited.   A few impatient days later, I decided to call and see how things were going since I had a few days to come to peace with denial.  I spoke with a credit analyst, explained to her my lates, how I have matured and gotten promoted to NCO in the Army, have a little emergency fund, and she says that everything looks good!  At this point I smile so big I caused my newly operated-on gums to bleed (widsom teeth came out on Tuesday) and then she says that since Navy Fed gave me $4000, she think $5k looks about right for me!  Yes, she outdid NFCU!  I'm very pleased with my progress and for some weird reason, I feel like I made amends with BOA even though I paid them off in 2008.  Has anyone else ever messed up and felt like if you could get that card again, you'd feel a sense of closure?   

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

Re: BOA took me back :)

Congrats!  I can't believe they beat out NFCU!

BOA is on my target wish list eventually.. along with Penfed

Message 2 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

I had 3 cards with BOA that I closed  in 2007 and had payment plans. I recently just paid them all off i.e since late 2007 I havent had any lates on these cards. Good thing is that I closed the cards and had a payment plan.

I'm eager to get back with BOA. I had the World Point back then with a 10k CL.

Can you share your scores?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is such an amazing story!

Huge congratulations! 

Message 4 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't take BoA (FIA) back under any circumstances, whatsoever.

I get wanting/needing closure after mistakes. It's human nature that we want to make amends or get back something lost. 

What I cannot wrap my head around is BoA's utter inability to show electronic forgiveness towards customers who have had setbacks or were simply human and erred. 

BoA is a fine bank, nice website, blah blah blah and I even have an account there, but I'll never do any business with their credit card division again.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

I get wanting/needing closure after mistakes. It's human nature that we want to make amends or get back something lost. 

What I cannot wrap my head around is BoA's utter inability to show electronic forgiveness towards customers who have had setbacks or were simply human and erred. 

BoA is a fine bank, nice website, blah blah blah and I even have an account there, but I'll never do any business with their credit card division again.

Seems like you had a very bad experience with them.

Message 6 of 12
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I just recently left BoA (checking, savings) in preparation for their debit card fee, and went to my credit union. I applied multiple times (probably too many) for cards and they shot me down each time, so I'm still a little bitter. I was thinking of applying for their rewards AmEx, but I fear rejection, once again. 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Seems like you had a very bad experience with them.

Worse than bad..... I had MBNA cards that were poorly migrated. Basically some of the late payments were legit but others weren't. Because I left the country as MBNA was being taken over (and never once ever made a charge on a BOA branded card) and kept making payments. Basically, I was still able to get credit (albeit at horrible rates) I never knew how bad the problem was until jumping into credit repair mode. Fast forward... 5 years after paying them in full I can't even find a CSR able to pull up the account unless being transferred three times but the late payments would come back verified every time. Worse yet, I can offer them copies of their own statements showing a particular entry on my reports is wrong but it's not good enough because they're untouchable. The CSR literally said their one mistake was meaningless compared to the ones I'd made so there was no point in even fixing it, LOL!

I realize the posts must read very animated but that's not the case. I just won't let the same dog bite me twice. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
heatherbee
Valued Member

EQ is 664, TU is 674.  I just had a score boost from getting a very recent 30 day late off by GW with WFNNB, and also paid down my balances, but they aren't all showing updated yet.  Hopefully by the end of this month or next month they will all update.  I know that a lot of people are bitter towards BOA, but in retrospect I burned them, they didn't burn me.  In fact, they were my very first creditor, followed by Walmart.  I didn't take care of them, and eventually earned them both back.  BOA never did anything unfair to me, but I feel that I am definitely the one in control if they decide to change that!  And the CSR was very respectful and seemed to genuinely care about my financial turnaround.  My scores used to be in the 550s, so to be mid 600s is a plus!  Besides, I live in Hawaii and will eventually want that Hawaiian Airlines card!

Message 9 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Congrats on turning things around Heatherbee.

Sorry for throwing negative vibes in your thread.

Jake

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.