tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOFA Secured Card - Why Apply?

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure if you want to start a relationship with a bank that tries to steal money from their customers left and right, offers nothing better than a 0.15% CD savings rate, even if you're locked in for 10 years, offers medicore credit card rewards, and answers to Wall Street stockholders, then more power to you if you think that's an accomplishment.

Not sure why you'd want a relationship with a bank that puts its own interest before yours, when you can save more, earn more, and get more free stuff from other financial institutions.

Bitter much? LOL. I take it you had a bad experience with BOA?

Not really, it's just common sense. If you can't see that, there's no helping you.

If you'd rather not do business with an institution that provides free checking, free checks, friendlier customer service (because you are the owner), higher savings rates, and who isn't constantly in the news for either breaking the law and not reaching their profit bottom line for the quarter, then  I would respect what you have to say much more than I do right now.

If you'd rather call me bitter for using the common sense approach, I'd rather you just ignore me, thank you.

I just asked a question. If you were bitter. I didn't call you such. And believe me, you are preaching to the choir. I LOVE CUs!! I am a member of several and do ALL of my banking at CUs. So I get it. I just happen to have a diversified portfolio that does included cards from a few banks for various purposes. 

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion regarding BOA. I was just sharing my personal experience with their secured product. And it was extremely positive. I can't vouch for their banking side shenanigans. All I know is they have been VERY generous to the members here regarding their credit cards. All you have to do is check the Approvals section and see for yourself.

I'm not entirely a "big bank hater." As you can see in my signature, I have a Citi Double Cash card. You won't find too many CU's with a 2% back credit card (or 1% + 1% , however you want to refer to it). However my point was I stated a few facts about BofA and what makes them look bad, and you proceeded to ask me if I'm bitter. Asking someone if they're bitter after they've stated facts to back up their opinions is not the correct way to reply to someone.

I do, however, think just like in every area of life, there are those who make bad decisions that effect them, whether they know it or not. It is very obvious people are better off in a institution that doesn't intend to make huge profits, doesn't answer to those who only invest money into shares to grow their IRA, but not actually use the institution themselves, or one that keeps the money in the community.

Why would you pay higher interest rates and more + higher fees on mortages, loans, credit cards and on a line of credit, when you can get a lower rate on a mortage, credit card, line of cred or a loan through a CU? Not to mention the CU will be more willing to work with you in your times of financial hardship, whereas a commercial bank will just pull the rug on you to maximize profits.

Why would you pay a commercial bank $30 for a checkbook when a local credit union will gladly buy you 100 checks a year for free?

Why would you invest in a 5 year CD for a 0.15% return when you can get 2.15% back at your local credit union?

It's common sense.

Message 21 of 58
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

When I closed my BoA checking, I ran over to an area CU and have had a great experience.  I don't think you'll have any argument on the value of CUs.

That said, I think the big banks (including BoA) are often more "generous" when it comes to CC rewards.   My CU has a lackluster "rewards" Visa that uses a points system, and they have conservative UW, meaning that my CU Visa has one of my lowest CLs.   The card is really only useful for small BTs, but I got it so that I wouldn't "waste" an HP I took when shopping for auto loans.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't generalize all big banks with more generous credit card rewards.

BofA only allows their bonus categories to be redeemed up to $2,500 every quarter.

Wells Fargo doesn't offer much in terms of rewards either.

Certainly Chase, AMEX, Citi, and U.S Bank offer more generous rewards programs, but when you have higher fees, that's how they afford to offer them.

Message 23 of 58
creditguy
Valued Contributor

To OP: in all fairness to me it also appeared as though you had a personal beef with BofA and came off a little bitter about it. This is one if the problems with written word, it's hard to express a point.

Yeah BofA definitely has some issues with their banking just as a lot of the big banks have. Big banks are great for cards for the most part, but for banking they can't compete with the big CU's popular here. I've gladly switched to Navy and PenFed for my main business and use a few big banks for smaller local stuff, but never will I go back for everyday banking.

Your opinions are yours and your definitely entitled to express them, but I will say I don't t think there was any malice directed your way by comments made. And on a side note baller4life is no shill for big banks, actually quite the opposite.

Message 24 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baller is lighthearted and means no harm.  Go read her entire 200 page Penfed thread and you'll see that.

Message 25 of 58
baller4life
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

To OP: in all fairness to me it also appeared as though you had a personal beef with BofA and came off a little bitter about it. This is one if the problems with written word, it's hard to express a point.

Yeah BofA definitely has some issues with their banking just as a lot of the big banks have. Big banks are great for cards for the most part, but for banking they can't compete with the big CU's popular here. I've gladly switched to Navy and PenFed for my main business and use a few big banks for smaller local stuff, but never will I go back for everyday banking.

Your opinions are yours and your definitely entitled to express them, but I will say I don't t think there was any malice directed your way by comments made. And on a side note baller4life is no shill for big banks, actually quite the opposite.

You know it! #teamcreditunions Smiley LOL

Message 26 of 58
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Baller is lighthearted and means no harm.  Go read her entire 200 page Penfed thread and you'll see that.

Thanks Wave.. It just appeared OP was speaking from a personal bad experience with BOA. And I just asked. Absolutely meant no harm.

Message 27 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the real question is, why apply for such a bad secured card? 

$39 annual fee -- the highest of secured cards at any major financial instituion including credit unions. Many credit union secured cards don't have an annual fee. Even banks like Citi and Wells Fargo offer secured cards with an annual fee around $25.

$37 late payment fee. Many credit unions charge $25 max. I'm not even sure how Bank of America gets away with that, as the CARD act specfically says "$25 late fee maximum for the first late payment over a six month period."  Bank of America's Secured Credit Card T&C's say $37 for any missed or late payment. 

Standard APR 20.49%* variable. That APR is pretty high, but not the highest of secured cards I've ever seen. Still, you could've done much better. My secured card through my credit union with a rewards program and no annual fee was 12.75% and my score was 620. The max APR you can get at my credit union is 17.99% and that's if your score is in the low 500's. Which brings me to my final point...

No rewards program. There are secured cards out there from credit unions with a rewards program, and also Sun Trust  and Discover have a secured card with rewards program. 

Not to sound too harsh or anything... But bad, bad pick on a secured credit card. 

(Mod Edit - We have started a new thread for this topic, as the response did not directly relate to the question posted in the original thread.   We have updated the thread topic and made minor grammatical changes to make this a standalone topic; this may be edited by OP, if desired --SE),

This is a joke, right????  After all the reports of folks getting unsecured and having double digit credit limits in less than a year????? Have fun using crap1 that doesnt offer APR reductions, or even the option of a single HP for a CLI and forcing a person to take a triple hit to reapply for more cards.  Note, I am a huge BOA fan and may be SLIGHTLY biased lol.

Message 28 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Friarchuck wrote:

There are also some ways to obtain a BofA secured card other than cold-applying.  I've had my personal checking and savings with them for some years now, and when I first went to get a secured card (in person at a branch), they offered me one with the security of having a few grand in my savings account.  They didn't put a hold on any of the funds or anything like I've heard some other banks do.  Within six months they had upped it to $2000, and a couple months later I had a Cash Rewards Visa that had the same open date as the secured card which remains my oldest open account, and on which I have earned several hundred dollars in rewards.  All in all, I am very happy with my experience with my BofA secured card and I would definitely recommend the path that I took to others that have accounts with them.

You are also speaking from a place of knowledge of many credit card products and differences between lenders and which options are available.  Secured cards are for people either starting out on their credit or for those who are rebuilding.  In the first scenario, assuming they have similar knowledge to yours is ridiculous, and most newbies are just happy to have their first card.  In the second scenario, some of the options you listed may be unavailable for any number of reasons.  In any case, the point of a secured card is to report positive payment history to the credit bureaus for the purposes of strengthening your credit profile and score, which the BofA secured card does admirably.  While I don't think BofA needs defense from a lowly customer like me, I think posts designed exclusively to bash one product or the other are a waste of time and ultimately don't serve any important purpose when the product in question fulfills its primary purpose.

The post was edited and took my original point away.

If you could get a no annual fee secured card with a lower APR, and that included a rewards program, no balance transfer fee, and no foreign transaction fee, wouldn't you choose it over what Bank of America offers? Besides, it's BoA...  Known for mediocre customer service.Also explained how the OP should've asked us first before applying, but course that was deleted too.

You have to look at the bigger picture. You want something that will grow with you over time.  I think citibank also has a secured card but its harder to get.

APR is really not relevant when it comes to a rewards card anyway, although I still push for apr reductions to make many of my cards dual purpose.

Message 29 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bank with BOA for years now and i apped for their cash rewards card but was given the 99/500 secured offer. Which is yes it is secured and yes i have many other cards that is better but i like BOA as a personal bank and now with a cc. And yes it has the same benefit cash rewards. In due time it will definitely grow and become unsecure and no AF. My personal view - to each their own.
Message 30 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.