Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOFA Secured Question!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOFA Secured Question!

When you call to unsecure do they pull a hard on your CR or a soft? Also if you just wait an let them unsecure it automatically is it a hard or soft.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Re: BOFA Secured Question!

I have called ba 2x about getting mine unsecured (9 stmts have cut).  Both times I was told-

It WILL be a hard on EX.  if EX is frozen, they *may* pull another CRA

They will NOT unsecure the cc if you have ANY CAs on your acct within the past yr (even if it is an old ca that updates regularly)

Both times, BA suggested I wait for it to unsecure on its own.  1 rep said if ba does it on its own it will be a soft- the other did not say anything.

Others have posted that BA is more + more often doing HARDS if you ask them to unsecure.  seems like they're tightening up.

fwiw, i've NOT see any softs from ba + my 10th stmt just cut.

Message 2 of 12
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, I called the secured credit department at BOA to have my secured card at nine months unsecure, this was done last year in June.  It was a hard pull on my TU report and I recieved a cli of $500.00 total card limit made it to$1,000.  With this economic credit downfall who knows what is happening nowadays.  All I know now they mainly like to check EX cr so you know, I was lucky that at that time TU was checked, my EX report 3 baddies on mine and for now can not get another cli from them.  Good Luck and be persistant if needbe.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 12
nicemann
Established Contributor

I just waited for them to unsecure it.  I believe it was around the 9 month mark.  No hard INQs from it.  I only got an $200 CLI but I called them as soon as I got my check back from my deposit.  They gave me an additional $500 CLI with no hard.

Even since then I call about six months or so for a CLI.  I currently have a total over $25,000 CLs with them on 5 cards.  The secured card started with $300 but it has a CL of $15,000 today. 

Can't complain about BoA....always been fair to me!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditreformer wrote:

I have called ba 2x about getting mine unsecured (9 stmts have cut).  Both times I was told-

It WILL be a hard on EX.  if EX is frozen, they *may* pull another CRA

They will NOT unsecure the cc if you have ANY CAs on your acct within the past yr (even if it is an old ca that updates regularly)

Both times, BA suggested I wait for it to unsecure on its own.  1 rep said if ba does it on its own it will be a soft- the other did not say anything.

Others have posted that BA is more + more often doing HARDS if you ask them to unsecure.  seems like they're tightening up.

fwiw, i've NOT see any softs from ba + my 10th stmt just cut.

BOFA soft me last month on my TU credit report. See this is what I'm afraid of when i first applied for the secured card they pulled EX. I still have a paid collection showing on my EX report an if i call to ask them to unsecure most likely with will pull EX which i also have allot of new account an inquries showing on all my CR. I think I'm gonna wait for them to unsecure it there self i might mess myself up if i call an ask them to unsecure it.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-22-2009 11:32 AM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also don't need anymore hard inquries on any of my CR so if they soft you when they unsecure you there self i think i will wait on them. Do they hard you when you do a product change?

Message 6 of 12
nicemann
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also don't need anymore hard inquries on any of my CR so if they soft you when they unsecure you there self i think i will wait on them. Do they hard you when you do a product change?

I never got a hard for a product change, done it twice with them.  You do of course get a hard if you are applying for a new TL even if you already have a card with them.
Message 7 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I just called Friday as I am at 9 months.

They declined me to unsecure the account.

Not sure if they hard pulled or not, Equifax credit monitoring is down again... I'm so canceling them monday

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicemann wrote:

I never got a hard for a product change, done it twice with them.  You do of course get a hard if you are applying for a new TL even if you already have a card with them.

Ok so no hard for a product change coo.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I just called Friday as I am at 9 months.

They declined me to unsecure the account.

Not sure if they hard pulled or not, Equifax credit monitoring is down again... I'm so canceling them monday

Maybe you can call one of the backdoor numbers after you find out if they hit you with a hard inquire an try to get someone else to unsecure it. Find out if they hit you with a hard an let me no please. I think i'm just gonna wait it out an let BOFA unsecure it there self
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.