Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOFA card refusal to reactivate?

tag
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

BOFA card refusal to reactivate?

BOFA closed my CC almost 2 years ago with the promise they could reactivate it after a year or 2 and check my credit report etc... it has been about that time and I have been refused the reactiavtion due to too much time passing since closed. Obvious contradiction on their part they apologized for someone giving me 'false' information.

I spoke with more than 1 person from BOFA and some suggested I could have it reactivated but it would just be a pain. Another suggested that I go to my local branch sit down with them and see what can be done. I have a business checking account a regular checking account and a savings I could leverage I suppose and threaten to go to another bank?

Has anyone run into something like this before and have any suggestions for action? The reason I want to reactivate this card is my AAoA could be better. This is one of my older accounts. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: BOFA card refusal to reactivate?

I have not heard of any lender promised someone that a closed account could be reopened after a year or two. Even if they did reopen an old account I do not think it will be backdated to its original date. I'm pretty sure back then you were misinformed by a CSR with lack of knowledge.

Message 2 of 8
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

hmmm... understand what you are saying. I did have a company (Belden Jewlers) reactivate a card for me after many years - like 7! I just have had many bad experiences and misinformation with bofa (specifically) and really irks me because this will ultimately hurt my AAoA and have been misinformed more than once. They are a large bank and doesn't seem to me like it would be THAT big of a deal to 'reactivate' a card, even with the time it had been closed... this is my credit life and feel like they are/have been toying with me - very frustrating.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that it's any of my business but why would you close an account if you planned on re-opening it in 1-2 years?

Message 4 of 8
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't, BOFA did - when I asked them why they closed it they couldn't give me an answer. It was really odd at the time. I asked them if I would have an option to reactivate it. They told me yes down the line - they would check my credit and see how I was doing then. You can see my scores below, not horrible - this is all confusing and frustrating.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well besides possibly getting an account aged back to original if you just re-opened (have not heard of BofA doing this) but if they were saying they would have to check your credit to re-open back 2 years ago... I would go on the search for the best rewards card they offer based were you spend your money and just apply for new card vs fight about the old account... I think they terribly miss led you.

Message 6 of 8
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I'd recommend going to your local branch and talking to them about it. Being a banking customer seems to carry heavy weight with BofA when it come to being approved for credit. So go in, tell them how your account got closed for no reason, but you were told it could be reactivated and ask what they can do for you.

Message 7 of 8
vish1
Valued Contributor

By any chance, your closed card counts towards your AAoA for about 10 years.

From the whole thing, I feel that BofA closed OPs card as an AA for something. My thought is that the CSR at that point was trying to tell OP that there could consider after 1-2 years (duno for new card or re-activating) . I can be totally wrong, but the CSR may not have explained well and would have got OP to think that the card will be reactivated later.

If I am right about the card being closed as an AA, I can almost bet that no bank can or should give you an assurance of reactivation or new credit. They can only tell you that they may consider again. Looks like a case of a non competent CSR to me.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.