Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOFA secured vs unsecured

tag
Durtyd29
Established Member

BOFA secured vs unsecured

I've been reading all the posts about the BOFA secured card and what other people are going through in order to get one.  I already have a Orchard Bank card with a CL of $300..smh and I'm looking to get another card to start boosting my score while I clean up the flaws on my CR.  I started chatting online with one of the reps and was told first, that they do a hard pull for either CC but offered me a unsecured card with a $500 CL with no annual fees.  Should I go with that or stick with getting the secured card?  Looking for some good advice.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: BOFA secured vs unsecured

Is the Orchard secured or unsecured.    How much would you deposit for BofA secured.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I chose the secured card, but its because I couldn't qualify for an unsecured card.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you already have an Orchard Bank card, you better not to apply. Or apply only store cards such as macy's and bloomingdale's. Just wait to receive any pre-approval offers. Perhaps you may want to avoid gas cards. I think you will start receiving massive pre-approval letters after 1 year from amex, capitalone, and other prime banks.

Message 4 of 8
Durtyd29
Established Member

The Orchard card is unsecured. The minimum deposit for the BOFA secured would be $300 and that would be my limit.

Message 5 of 8
Durtyd29
Established Member

I already have a badcock furniture store retail account which I have to find out why they aren't reporting. I have a CL of $1400 with a $0 bal.  Ive had it about a year and it isn't on my EQ or TU report.  I haven't seen my EX so I don't know if they are reporting it on there either. So, is it better to just hold off for a while or go for it? My Orchard Bank CC bal is $0.  I use around the middle of the month up to half of the CL and then PIF on the 1st.  Is this helpful in building my score?

Message 6 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I would accept the BofA unsecured of $500.    Higher limit is better.

You might consider (if you can afford it) opening a secured card with someone else with a much larger limit.

Message 7 of 8
Durtyd29
Established Member

Thanks Wolf3.  I'm going to see if the same offer is still on the table today and if so go for it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.