Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP Visa scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BP Visa scam

Like many here I was approved for this card a few months ago, particularly useful for the gas discount benefit.

BUT, this seems to be a big scam. I've used it for up to $6-700/mo, when I use the card, "rewards" seem to come up randomly, half the time there are NONE. If not, the price is the "cash" price despite using their card however, if there are rewards, that amount is deducted from the CC price! What's worse, if the reward is $.09/gal the final price comes up $.01 MORE than the cash price.

This is one big bogus promotion and I won't use it after this "pseudo-promotion" is over!

Anyone else having similar issues?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: BP Visa scam

Did you get the card when it was still under chase, or after it was transferred to Synchrony?

I got this card years ago & about 6 mos later, the BP gas station closed.  It's been a dog ever since.  Then chase cut my limit by over half & sold to Synchrony.  I have several cards through them, lowes has a $10k limit & care credit has $18k.  Asked to raise the BP limit (it's $1800 right now) they wouldn't do it without a hard pull.  I told them this boat anchor wasn't worth it & it would be going back to the dark, damp corner of the safe.

I have ZERO incentve to use it.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony.

Yeah, this dwarf card is going to the S/D

Message 3 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Gonna let mine age & fall off.  Just like my Wells Fargo.  POS.

Message 4 of 11
ddemari
Super Contributor

Wow synch bank wanted to hardpull u for bp visa cli? Maybe it was a u knowledge rep?

I have the card when sych opened apps. The rewards are hard to follow and the cars is lackluster. I dis call credit solutions for a cli, no hard pull but also no cli lol.
Message 5 of 11
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
Wow synch bank wanted to hardpull u for bp visa cli? Maybe it was a u knowledge rep?

I have the card when sych opened apps. The rewards are hard to follow and the cars is lackluster. I dis call credit solutions for a cli, no hard pull but also no cli lol.

Yup!! 

Who is Credit Solutions??

Message 6 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Yup!! 

Who is Credit Solutions??

Synchrony Credit solutions listed in back door numbers.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 11
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Like many here I was approved for this card a few months ago, particularly useful for the gas discount benefit.

BUT, this seems to be a big scam. I've used it for up to $6-700/mo, when I use the card, "rewards" seem to come up randomly, half the time there are NONE. If not, the price is the "cash" price despite using their card however, if there are rewards, that amount is deducted from the CC price! What's worse, if the reward is $.09/gal the final price comes up $.01 MORE than the cash price.

This is one big bogus promotion and I won't use it after this "pseudo-promotion" is over!

Anyone else having similar issues?

I don't have the Visa card, but I do have the rewards card (not attached to any credit card).  I haven't run into this issue, as the BP stations around me don't charge differently for cash or BP card.  That said, it sounds like a problem with the BP Driver Rewards program and/or BP's credit card processing system, not necessarily Synchrony.  I'd contact BP Driver Rewards program and see what they say.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent PMs through my online account and always get the same monsensical prattle...nada

Message 9 of 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I have the Visa version and after the first month took a $2.02 "credit" off 20 gal of gas - was fun paying 50 cents a gal at the pump. It's a gas card, meaning high APR, pay it in full each month and take the savings. I'm not saying it's my best card, but I don't see where it qualifies as a "scam" especially since the terms are listed when you apply. I will say I canceled both my Shell Visa and Exxon card both issued by Citi, because the so called savings were not very interesting.

Will this card be on the short list to cancel the next time I weed out my less useful cards? Maybe, okay probably because I have better gas options, but not because I didn't understand the terms of the card when I was approved. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.