Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP card by Synchony

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

BP card by Synchony

Hey everyone!

So, I got a pre-approved offer from BP for their card issued by Synchrony.  I wanted to get feedback from anyone on here that has or has had the card before.  I already have rewards cards, but this one interests me because of all the traveling I do on the weekends to see my other half, who is 2.5 hours away.  Currently I use my BCE for the 2%.  But the info they sent seems interesting.

Thoughts?

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: BP card by Synchony

Not sure how stand alone gas cards are but id personally use a hp for another card that can do more multi purposing. If the rewards work for you thats the best sign but looking at your siggy, i think you can do and get betterSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The intro offer is pretty sick if you shop a lot at BP, I earned something in the realm of 85 dollars cashback in my first 90 days (on about 2000 worth of spend), it comes out to almost 5 percent with the bonus back BUT after 90 days it drops to 2 percent.

Its still a good card if you have a lot of BPs in the area like I do, but my Discover has supplanted it as my daily driver now that I am no longer in the intro period.

The visa version is also a wash as thats only 1 percent outside of BP stores.

So the bottom line would be unless you plan to put a lot of spend specifically through BP stations the card isnt even as useful as a quicksilver one cashback card, and any mainstream 2 percenter equals or outdoes it.

However, as a gas card, its still 5 percent cashback over time.  But thats ONLY on gas purchases.  I buy all my gas with it, but everything else is Disco (or QS1 if they dont take discover)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the pre-approval in the mail.  Have 3 Synchrony cards already.  Scores in the 780s.  They offered me 29.99% APR.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHeeeeeeeeecccckkkkkk NO!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

strickly as a gas only card, it may be worth it if the math is done.

I have had one for a while, but after the first few months, I only use it once a year.

I dont use that much gas, but honestly unless a BP station will be able to be used only, it may not be worth it.

Message 5 of 10
arkane
Established Contributor

Honestly no point going with branded gas cards when you have the NRA Visa or the Ducks Unlimited Visa that gives 5% cash back on all gas stations year round.

Or you could always get the Chase Freedom/Discover It for when they have 5% gas quarters.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you drive primarily with BP gas, then it could be worth it. I pump 200-300 dollars a month and save about $30 a month with the rewards programe that earns 5 cents less then the credit card. The best gas rewards card that i know of is the American Express Blue Cash (?) without the fee earns 3 percent cash back on gas purchases. (the fee one gains 6 percent but my gas purchases wouldnt outpace the fee ($95 a year). If you DONT drive primarily with BP, then its other rewards arent worth it. Youd be better off getting the Discover Chrome (2% gas with rotating 5% catagories) or the Blue Cash.

Message 7 of 10
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

If you drive primarily with BP gas, then it could be worth it. I pump 200-300 dollars a month and save about $30 a month with the rewards programe that earns 5 cents less then the credit card. The best gas rewards card that i know of is the American Express Blue Cash (?) without the fee earns percent cash back on gas purchases. (the fee one gains 6 percent groceries 3% gas’s but my gas purchases wouldnt outpace the fee ($95 a year). If you DONT drive primarily with BP, then its other rewards arent worth it. Youd be better off getting the Discover Chrome (2% gas with rotating 5% catagories) or the Blue Cash.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a preapproved offer for the BP "store" gas card myself week before last. I think I'll pass; even if I were in the immediate market for another card, I hardly ever go to BP when I'm at home (the only times I've ever stopped at BP in recent years have been on road trips) - in fact, I almost always purchase gas at Costco.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always pump gas at BP so I consider this card a lot. The only issue is I don’t know if I’ll grt approved. Also I heard stories about them doing CLD and closing accounts so that’s always kept me away. I always try using my Discover It Chrome to get the 2%
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.