Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP from Chase to Synchony question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BP from Chase to Synchony question

I have had the BP store card with Chase for almost 3 years. When they switch over to Synchrony will it backdate to my original open date or show as a new account? I don't want any brand new credit cards showing up in my credit report. I've never had an account switch companies entirely. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: BP from Chase to Synchony question

@Anonymous wrote:
I have had the BP store card with Chase for almost 3 years. When they switch over to Synchrony will it backdate to my original open date or show as a new account? I don't want any brand new credit cards showing up in my credit report. I've never had an account switch companies entirely. Thanks!

It should - I have  Best Buy Mastercard originally issued by HSBC, taken over by Capital One and then by Citi Bank - both Cap One & Citi TLs show the original HSBC open date.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks! I hope that is the case for me. I thought about closing the card just in case but I don't want to jump the gun.
Message 3 of 9
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

My experience with Synchrony has been horrible on this issue. I requested replacement cards for two of my accounts. Synchrony closed those accounts and opened two "new" accounts. Brooks Brothers is moving to Chase (THANK GOD) and I am closing my Belk account administered by SYNC. Good luck with them!

Message 4 of 9
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Historically Sync (GECRB/GEMB) has not been known to backdate - of course there's always a first time I s'pose. Unfortuantely its not one of those things anyone really has control over.

Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, thanks! I hope that is the case for me. I thought about closing the card just in case but I don't want to jump the gun.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet snowkitty Cat Happy  For instance, when my Meijer MC went from SYNCB to Comenity, the opening date and history were preserved.  The separate tradeline (under Comenity shows "Closed" but with the original opening date with SYNCB) - granted I had closed the card way before the change (wasn't using as much as in the past and rewards had become lackluster).  So, hopefully that may be the case for everyone who migrates from Chase to the SYNCB porfolio.

Message 6 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's another thread on the Chase BP card changing to Synchrony and the OP called Chase to see if they could switch to another Chase card but since he had opted out of pre-screening they couldn't offer them anything. Since others have expressed doubts if your opening date will be preserved you might consider calling Chase and see if they would PC (product change, convert to another CC they offer) and preserve the original opening date on the new card. I checked their website and besides Visa & MC the only co-branded cards they offer are travel rewards (hotel & airline) and Amazon. Maybe one will appeal to you? I've never seen the point of having a CC that only works for buying gas, but that's just me.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the repies y'all. Looks like it could go either way. I will give Chase a call this morning and see what they have to say. I would be interested in the Amazon card with them if possible. I have the Amazon Synchrony card but I earn no rewards with that one and I order from Amazon all the time. It's always too bad that you can't call the customer service with Synchrony and just ask but everytime I call them about anything, they are clueless and I always get different answers.

Message 8 of 9
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's another thread on the Chase BP card changing to Synchrony and the OP called Chase to see if they could switch to another Chase card but since he had opted out of pre-screening they couldn't offer them anything. Since others have expressed doubts if your opening date will be preserved you might consider calling Chase and see if they would PC (product change, convert to another CC they offer) and preserve the original opening date on the new card. I checked their website and besides Visa & MC the only co-branded cards they offer are travel rewards (hotel & airline) and Amazon. Maybe one will appeal to you? I've never seen the point of having a CC that only works for buying gas, but that's just me.

Usually when an issuer acquires accounts from another issuer, the bank name changes, but the previous account opening date will remain. One example I can offer is when the Home Depot account transferred over from GEMB/GECRB to Citi, the name changed and that was it. Or, Citi will list a new account while CapOne/HSBC list the other account as transferred to another lender. 

While Synchrony often will show Visa/MC upgrades as a new account with a new date, if Syncrhony follows the expection, you will see a Synchrony listing but with the previous account opening date.

I considered PC'ing to another card, but since many cards offer sign-up bonuses, I figured I'd just let the BP card go to Synchrony and see what happens. I did, however, transfer all but $5k of the BP Visa's CL to another Chase card since Synchrony will usually grant CLs pretty easily.

If they don't drastically improve the rewards structure, I don't have much use for the BP card. I miss the days when the card offered 5% rewards.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.