cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT: Amount Granted Vs. Amount Requested.

tag
XxRaVeNxX1
Contributor

BT: Amount Granted Vs. Amount Requested.

Tried to google and search the forums for the answer...couldn't find it...

First time doing a balance transfer, and it seems the amount granted is less than the amount requested?  Less than half was granted....with a spare 5K in the remaining credit limit.

Why? Seems pointless....

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT: Amount Granted Vs. Amount Requested.

@XxRaVeNxX1 wrote:

Tried to google and search the forums for the answer...couldn't find it...

First time doing a balance transfer, and it seems the amount granted is less than the amount requested?  Less than half was granted....with a spare 5K in the remaining credit limit.

Why? Seems pointless....

Need more info.  What were the details of the BT, cards involved and dollar amount.

Still unusual for a BT to be cut in half

Message 2 of 10
XxRaVeNxX1
Contributor

Date
Requested 
Estimated
Posting Date
Payee Account
Number
Amount
Requested
Amount
Granted
StatusAction
 04/06/201604/17/2016NAVY FEDERAL CU $4,788.23$1,960.00Pending

That's all I know...

EDIT: Transfer from NFCU to Chase Slate

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@XxRaVeNxX1 wrote:
 Date
Requested 
Estimated
Posting Date
Payee Account
Number
Amount
Requested
Amount
Granted
StatusAction
 04/06/201604/17/2016NAVY FEDERAL CU $4,788.23$1,960.00Pending

That's all I know...

EDIT: Transfer from NFCU to Chase Slate

Strange, I would either call Chase or send them a secured message and find out why

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure which is one with the existing balance and where you wanted it to end up. Is the account where you wanted it to end up new? Or have you had that card and you know that you have the CL available for that transfer? I'll stay tuned, I've never heard of this if it's the later. 

If it's a new card and you requested that BT via the process of applying, it's understandable that they only granted you a certain amount that was lower than you wanted. That's absolutely happened to me. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure which is one with the existing balance and where you wanted it to end up. Is the account where you wanted it to end up new? Or have you had that card and you know that you have the CL available for that transfer? I'll stay tuned, I've never heard of this if it's the later. 

If it's a new card and you requested that BT via the process of applying, it's understandable that they only granted you a certain amount that was lower than you wanted. That's absolutely happened to me. 

+1

The only thing that makes prefect sense is the OP 'requested' X amount but was only approved for Y amount....

I see how the way BT are marketed, at times...why a person applying would assume 'if' approved they'd get a large enough

approval to handle the amount requested...

IMO it kinda stinks the way banks advertise a BT when it should 'transfer as much as WE approve you for' but they make it SEEM more

like a consolidation loan where either you're approved for the loan amount or not....

These BT credit card offers are really just CC offers with the 'hope' the CL will be big enough to transfer an old balance onto a new card

but if you say it that...it's less SEXY and they'd get fewer apps, b/c ppl would better understand it means IF approved for a big enough CL

to handle your desired need.

But truth be told just b/c a person has Z amount of outstanding debt doesn't mean a new lender is gonna approve them for a much higher debt level

and this is way sometimes the BT app is a sucker bet.....b/c if you take a HP, get approved for a limit that's too low...what happens?

Do you not take the card, do you take the card that didn't clear your debt and create 'more' debt or yet another card, makes no sense the split the amount and have 2 payments (unless it's 0% I guess)....can turn out poorly

Message 6 of 10
Runitup
Regular Contributor

In my experience, Chase is famous for this. I have transfered multiple times with them and each time they have put a maximum limit on the amount of total transfers. A couple of years ago I had a 17k limit but they explicitly stated the max transfer is 10k. Limiting exposure I guess.
Message 7 of 10
XxRaVeNxX1
Contributor

Called Chase, the CSR rep stated she wasn't sure and just canceled and resubmitted it. This time the full amount went through.

So, the more I look at it, the original amount that was approved, was my original limit when I applied for the card.

I closed another Chase Card and combined limits when I applied for the card and did a transfer the same day...yet that new limit probably needed a day or so to catch up...if that makes sense..

Message 8 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@XxRaVeNxX1 wrote:

Called Chase, the CSR rep stated she wasn't sure and just canceled and resubmitted it. This time the full amount went through.

So, the more I look at it, the original amount that was approved, was my original limit when I applied for the card.

I closed another Chase Card and combined limits when I applied for the card and did a transfer the same day...yet that new limit probably needed a day or so to catch up...if that makes sense..

I think you just answered your own question.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I have never had that problem with Chase, which is good because I use my Amazon Visa for BTs and if it was stuck at the amount of my initial CL I would only be able to BT $300, lol.  I bet it was just some glitch in their system.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.