cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT - Are they frowned upon in this establishment?

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

BT - Are they frowned upon in this establishment?

If I wanted to pay off a $2000 balance with Amex using my Capital One 0% offer for BT, would Amex look negatively at me when they get a check or electronic funds for an account payoff? I want to keep Amex happy with me and have been PIF every single statement... but was considering a BT just because I have a completely paid off card with a 0% offer from Cap One.... but don't want Amex to see that as a sign of weakness and downgrade me somehow or remove CLI. Thoughts expert Myficoers?

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT - Are they frowned upon in this establishment?

They could care less, as long as they get paid.
Message 2 of 21
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I trust your statement (I think)... Smiley Wink

I've just wondered if a balance transfer is taken negatively when you are the recipient bank. As if to be considered a sign of lack of cash to just pay the bill off. I'm probably overthinking things. I've been worrying about dumb stuff lately like whether Amex will lower my $15k limit because I haven't gone past $3k on it yet... I've been running $2500 or so a month and then PIF on it and my BCE since I still use my QS alot.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 3 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol agreed well said 

They could care less and probably hope that everyone did this and then refused to pay Cap1

In hopes that Cap1 would go belly up and Amex could increase market share Smiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 21
elim
Senior Contributor

You can deposit the Cap1 convenience check into your account and pay AMEX with the funds if that makes you feel better (I have done this).

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

You can deposit the Cap1 convenience check into your account and pay AMEX with the funds if that makes you feel better (I have done this).

Yup... this is def an option. I've done it myself as well.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great question, OP. Hopefully it gets replies from the users I tend to call "the heavyweights" -CreditGuyinDixie, Revelate, Robert EG, Thomas Thumb and Yes-It's-Me. NO PUN INTENDED to everyone else!!!  I'm a "light minimum weight" - in credit knowledge Smiley Happy

I think they mostly post in the "Understanding Fico Scoring" section (with the exception of Revelate/YIM); so, I think you may be out of luck hearing from any of them "down" here.

With that being said, I too, have received a BT offer from BofA with interest free for over a year. I currently have a $2K balance on one of my cards and although I can PIF easily, I have pondered with the idea of moving it around "just to see how it works." So, I'm with ya on this one.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

They don't always have to be checks, correct? I've received checks from NF in the past but have always discarded them as I've never had a need to use 'em. The BT offer I have from BofA is in my Credit Card Account (online).

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need not worry. I have done a few transfers to pay off my Amex without issue. Not from cap1 but Barclay and Discover, I imagine it doesn't matter though. I stated this in a similar tread...the last time I did a bal transfer Amex rewarded me with a promotional APR reduction...perhaps they wish to remain competitive. Transfer away.
Message 9 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@dallasareaguy wrote:

If I wanted to pay off a $2000 balance with Amex using my Capital One 0% offer for BT, would Amex look negatively at me when they get a check or electronic funds for an account payoff? I want to keep Amex happy with me and have been PIF every single statement... but was considering a BT just because I have a completely paid off card with a 0% offer from Cap One.... but don't want Amex to see that as a sign of weakness and downgrade me somehow or remove CLI. Thoughts expert Myficoers?

I haven't seen any cases here where the lender receiving a BT payment has an issue with this.   Discover gave me my largest CLI to date after I BTed my balance from them to BoA.   it it makes financial sense to BT, do it!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.