Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Help.. From Citi To Chase Slate

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

BT Help.. From Citi To Chase Slate

Hey guys. I initiated a Balance Transfer so I could pay off my CITI account with my Chase Slate. I initiated the BT on 03/16 and it was "completed" on 03/20 from Chase's side. However, I didn't receive the funds into my CITI account yet. How come I was charged before CITI even had the chance to deposit the money on my account?

Is this normal? When can I expect to see the money post?

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: BT Help.. From Citi To Chase Slate

the time frame they give you is pretty wide, and bt's can actually take quite a while. you can get charged as soon as the money is sent out, but it can take (up to) something like 2 weeks for it to actually finish. that's why all the banks warn to pay at least the minimum payment for that month if it looks like the bt might not make it to the card in time.
Message 2 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Pay at least the minimum as above poster mentioned to avoid any late payment. As I am a "control freak" I always write out the check to myself first and then pay the card down from my bank account so I can see the status of the BT and expedite the transaction. It took less than 3 days so far to complete the whole process.

Message 3 of 7
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. I still find it freaky that Chase charged me the money before it was accepted by CITI. What if the check that's mailed to CITI gets lost? What if its deposited to the wrong account? This stuff freaks me out.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would look for it to post tomorrow sometime, they usually send the payoff thru the ACH system if the receiving bank is able to accept such payoffs and Citi is able.

Message 5 of 7
JSS3
Valued Contributor

It's usually credited the day after it posts on the donor card.
Message 6 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. I still find it freaky that Chase charged me the money before it was accepted by CITI. What if the check that's mailed to CITI gets lost? What if its deposited to the wrong account? This stuff freaks me out.

If you read the fine print on the BT offer, it says you will pay interest from the day of the BT request. This is normal operating procedure.

This is why you need to triple check the card number, address, bank info etc you are paying off, then go back and check it again, to ensure accuracy prior to requesting the BT. Cardholder beware, in other words.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.