Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT a charge card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BT a charge card

Im curious if I charged 50k on a amex platinum charge card, can i balance transfer that out to revolvers and take advantage of the intro 0% APR for 15 month offers that i have? Thanks in advanced. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: BT a charge card

I am sure you can BT but it has to process pretty quick before your charge card statement cuts. BUT charging 50K on Platinum? Do you have a revolver with 50K CL?

Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I am sure you can BT but it has to process pretty quick before your charge card statement cuts. BUT charging 50K on Platinum? Do you have a revolver with 50K CL?

+1

In theory this would work, but if you plan on using more than one revolver you'll end up with a lot of 'moving parts' and the chances of something going wrong increases greatly.

I would personally only do this if I had the resources (i.e. liquid cash) to take care of the Platinum bill should any delays in come up with the balance transfer(s).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, the 50k charge would be for a business expense. And i currently have two chase ink cards with 50k limits each, as well as a citibusiness thank you card with a 54k limit. I have seen free balance transfer offers from time to time, so i wanted to know if i could do it. So theoretically, the biggest problem would be for the balance transfer to go through before the new statement cuts right? So i should probably do it at the beginning of a new cycle? 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

worst case scenario would be just paying off the platinum right?

Message 5 of 9
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

worst case scenario would be just paying off the platinum right?

Exactly. Take a shot right around your statement cut date.

Message 6 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

read up on the dangers of mixing bussiness and personal credit, if the platinum is a personal card, not the bussiness version. Haven't done all the research but most of the bussiness people say its bad to mix bussiness expenses on personal cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Im curious if I charged 50k on a amex platinum charge card, can i balance transfer that out to revolvers and take advantage of the intro 0% APR for 15 month offers that i have?

As stated above, sure but time to process BT's can vary and can take weeks in some cases so you might be in trouble if the credit doesn't post in time.

@Anonymous wrote:

And i currently have two chase ink cards with 50k limits each, as well as a citibusiness thank you card with a 54k limit.

Additionally you need to consider revolving utilization even on cards with 0% offers.  0% offers are not indicated on your reports (see for yourself) so creditors cannot consider that you have maxed a card or you're leaving it with high revolving utilization because of the 0% offer.

$50,000 / $50,000 is 100%

$50,000 / $54,000 is 93%

Both would be considered maxed.  Keep in mind that the general suggestion is do not exceed 30%.  Short term high utilization is generally not an issue but prologned high utilization can lead to AA -- leaving a card maxed even more so.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

but business cards such as the ink and the citibusiness thank you do not show on your personal credit report right? Arent they hidden tradelines?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.