Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT checks for C/S promos

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BT checks for C/S promos

I'm toying with the idea of using a "write yourself a check" BT offer from Barclaycard. 2% fee for a 16.5-month BT at 0%. I'm aware they give better BT offers, but I could possibly work with that.

I would use the funds to chase some sort of risk-free checking/savings cash promotion. I've not decided exactly which one. I do have enough money in a conventional savings account to pursue a few promotions, but I'm fascinated with the idea of arbitrage. It's on my no-AF Arrival, a card for which I don't really have any use since pure Chip+Sig works for my occasional trips to Canada. I use my Sallie, though, so I'm logging into Barclaycard often anyway.

Can anyone suggest a resource...maybe some sort of calculator that factors in the timing of minimum payments...that could let me calculate exactly how much I would net? Or other advice? If it would be hardly anything, I might hold off until I get a better BT offer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: BT checks for C/S promos

Do you have a specific savings / checking offer in mind? 

If your question is whether you can make any money from such an arbitrage, your cost will be the BT fee to get the funds, benefit would be dependent on the savings bonus. 

My my guess is it will be a narrow benefit, like a few tens of dollars. Fun, to be sure, and a win, but more a learning experience than something to make you wealthy Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Generally not a good idea, to be honest.
Message 3 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Do you have a specific savings / checking offer in mind? 

If your question is whether you can make any money from such an arbitrage, your cost will be the BT fee to get the funds, benefit would be dependent on the savings bonus. 

My my guess is it will be a narrow benefit, like a few tens of dollars. Fun, to be sure, and a win, but more a learning experience than something to make you wealthy Smiley Happy

Thanks for the bump. I have to say...it's strange to read a thread just a few days old in which I refer to Sallie as an ongoing card.

There is no specific checking/savings offer I had in mind. I probably have enough accounts at the moment. I could find something, but I'm mostly interested in figuring out the "money in" side of this and the full cost of a BT.

The math is a little more complicated than just paying the BT fee, since minimum payments mean I can't have all of the funds available for my use for the full length of the BT.

I'm leaning towards just not bothering. If I had a $25k CL, doing a $10k "write myself a check" BT could be worth it. But with a CL of only $9k, the return wouldn't be much. If I used half the CL, it wouldn't be enough for many promotions without extra funds from an existing savings account.

Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

Think there's a high risk of  AA somewhere along the line? Or just a lot of hassle for a low reward?

Message 5 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Think there's a high risk of  AA somewhere along the line? Or just a lot of hassle for a low reward?

Both. I've heard so many people say that a 0% offer is the worst thing ever... same as a 0% BT offer, except you usually have an upfront cost in the form of some fee. It's hard to make higher than that fee on that money without a good deal of risk: whether that be the lender calling in the loan, the lender closing your card, balance chasing you, other lenders balance chasing you, you not making enough money, taking a loss, other lenders CLDing you, or you just snowballing debt, etc. It can be a very slippery slope. 

Message 6 of 8
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

BT's are useful for paying off high interest cards/loan. Cost savings can be easily realized that way. I agree with Kenny that otherwise not a great option.

Message 7 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Without doing unconventional BTs, without getting decent rewards promos, and with Chip+Sig cards working well enough in my travel...I may tell them to "Commence" to close all my accounts!

Really, the only thing holding me back is the desire to not look like a churner...at least until I actually am one.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.