Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT help please

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

BT help please

So currently im confused on how the BT works. I am thinking about having my debt converged into 1 card. However it does have a BT fee. Not sure how much but how does it work. Do i have to pay the fee on both cards?
Is it a % of the total amount transffered?
When would it report 0 if that balance was transffered?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BT help please

@Skye12329 wrote:
So currently im confused on how the BT works. I am thinking about having my debt converged into 1 card. However it does have a BT fee. Not sure how much but how does it work. Do i have to pay the fee on both cards?
Is it a % of the total amount transffered?
When would it report 0 if that balance was transffered?

The fee is only charged on the card that you are transferring the balance to. If you are moving say 5K from 3 cards and there is a 3% fee then it will be $150 to transfer the 5K. If you completely pay off a card with the balance transfer then that paid off cards balance will report as 0 as long as there are not addl interest charges to be posted and you do not make new charges on it. Be advised most lenders will add the BT fee to your payment on the next statement that gets generated.

Message 2 of 5
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Alright so let me understand this better. Would the fee be charged on the card recieving the balance or the card that sent  the balance. What i mean is 

Card 1 transfers $150 to card 4

Card 2 transfers $700 to card 4

Card 3 transfers $700 to card 4

Would card 4 be the card recieving the BT fee? Not cards 1,2,3? If i did the BT above that would wipe out those cards would they report at 0 after the statements cut for those?

Currently thinking about BT to my Chase freedom since i have 0% interest for the 15 mos. Not sure what the BT rate for it is though.If that helps.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Alright so let me understand this better. Would the fee be charged on the card recieving the balance or the card that sent  the balance. What i mean is 

Would card 4 be the card recieving the BT fee? Not cards 1,2,3? If i did the BT above that would wipe out those cards would they report at 0 after the statements cut for those?

Currently thinking about BT to my Chase freedom since i have 0% interest for the 15 mos. Not sure what the BT rate for it is though.If that helps.

Chase would add 3% to those amounts you transfer and you have 0% for 15 months bt too

Message 4 of 5
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Chase would add 3% to those amounts you transfer and you have 0% for 15 months bt too

3% or $10...whichever is greater...usually.

The Slate is a better BT card since they waive the transfer fees for the first couple months the account is open.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.