tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

BTs and closing cards

Okay so first off here's my cards.

NFCU 6200 of 7500. Just requested CLI yesterday and they gave me 1k. 15.65% APR

SSFCU 900 of 1000. 13.75% APR

Cap1 quicksilver 1659 out of 2000 24.9% APR

Jcrew 0 of 4260. I saw a thread that about doing a CLI over and over and so I tried it and got to 4260 from 1560.

Care credit 0 of 500. Used it when my puppy got parvo and only ever use it when me and my gf get new glasses. Oh and this is a joint acct with her. On a side note she only has this and a capital that is also 500. She applied for the Chase SW card and got a 5k limit. Surprised the hell outta me. she has a few lates and an att collection paid only about a year ago. CK says her score is about 720.

Last card is a Discover and the limit is 800. I applied to do a BT but got offerred a "different" card with only 10.99%apr. I have a balance of 130 but am paying that in full.

Okay so here's my thing. I'm not sure how to do these BTs to save on interest. I need to pay these down. I hate these balances. I do only have 6 months on Discover. If anybody could help me figure out what to do I'd appreciate it. I wont be applying for any credit any time soon. I just closed on my house and have a car payment. (It's a duplex so my renters pay my mortgage and it freed up my rent I was paying to my gfs gma who sold it to us). I don't need anymore credit. Not buying a new car until my insurance will go down in a couple years. haha.

Also would it be smart to close jcrew and care credit? My gf hates how many cards I have. I plan on closing the capital one at least. I don't want to do an annual fee so that will for sure be closed once it's at a 0 balance.

And one last question. Can somebody explain to me how much the point are worth from discover. Like are they equal to 1% cash or 1.5% or even .5%. I just want to explain that using the discover sometimes for the 5% would help. Especially for Christmas since she works at QVC and he discount plus 5% back would be great.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: BTs and closing cards

Closing your Jcrew might lower your score since it would increase your UTL, Care Credit "meh" $500 is not a big difference but $4260 is a nice chunk. I dont think you have a lot of CCs, as to Discover have you checked out ShopDiscover they have great cash back on their 5-20% so I would check it out.

EDIT: I would BT the highest APR so in your case Capital One QS.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.