Runitup
Regular Contributor

Re: BTs

Lol, thanks guys.

Message 11 of 15
Involver
Valued Contributor

I always BT to my bank account and then pay off accounts.

Does it make a difference, probably not. But I like to think it looks better paying off an account rather than BTing it directly to another lender.
Message 12 of 15
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:
I always BT to my bank account and then pay off accounts.

Does it make a difference, probably not. But I like to think it looks better paying off an account rather than BTing it directly to another lender.

how would one do this?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 13 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Runitup wrote:

I was gonna apply for a BCE with a $250 reward for $1k purchases but to be honest, I don't want to worry about AA/FRs if I BT or up my utilization.  Sounds like a lot of drama.  It's a good offer, though.

If the card fits what you are looking for just apply.  Don't let these reports of AA deter you.  They happen a lot less than what it appears from reading this board.

+1

For a $1k card? AMEX isn't going to care as long as you pay it off according to terms. You have to really work at it to get AA.

I've had "AA" in the form of CLD when balances were very high, but that's more "appropriate action" on the bank's part than adverse. None of those were from AMEX Centurion Bank because they would never do the low interest cash advance offers that were happening from other banks back in the day.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

What do lenders think if you pay a credit card off my doing a BT to another card?

A BT is considered like any other payment.

It's not the BT itself that really matters.  What you really need to look at is how utilization is impacted on the accounts involved.

@red259 wrote:

Is it the same in their mind as if you PIF from your bank account (not talking about the utilization issue).

BT's and PIF's are two entirely different things.  A BT can PIF.  A BT can also only be applied to a portion of the balance.  For the other part of this question see my comment above.

@red259 wrote:

On my credit report can lenders tell if I paid a credit card via a BT?

You can look at your own report to see.  Line items are not reported.  Payments may be reported but source of the payment is not.

@red259 wrote:

So if I BT from amex to a different lender Amex could take AA? That seems petty. Heh. 

No -- that's called anecdotal evidence.  Never attempt to extrapolate a trend based on a single data point no matter what the topic.  A point is just a point.  A point on its own cannot define a line --- much less a trend.

@Runitup wrote:

I was gonna apply for a BCE with a $250 reward for $1k purchases but to be honest, I don't want to worry about AA/FRs if I BT or up my utilization.  Sounds like a lot of drama.  It's a good offer, though.

You don't need to worry.  The whole fear over all that is severely overblown on myFICO.  Utilization is a significant risk factor with all creditors -- not just AmEx.  That's why it's the second biggest slice (Amounts Owed):

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.