cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to business everyone- credit is NO JOKE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back to business everyone- credit is NO JOKE!

Hello everyone-

Not trying to be a party pooper here- but I felt I needed to get this off my chest and I am sure there will be some lurking who agree w/ me even if they don't post it.

I am the biggest offender, after posting the funny links that Willow orig. posted re: CC pranks and how to "skin your cards". I was laughing earlier and now I feel stupid as while I was posting earlier I felt the little angel on my shoulder telling me I was too old to be laughing about CC's.

I think it's time for us to get back to business- not joking about CC's and trying to out-do each other w/ limits. 

I think it's great that we all gasp at someone who has gotten the latest big limit- but we also need to ALWAYS keep in mind that it is a great risk- and w/ great risk comes GREAT RESPONSIBILITY- and we need to be especially careful w/ those zero percent CC's - cuz it is way to easy to load up on charges thinking "well, there is no APR- so I don't have to worry about PIF for the next couple of months...

let's get back to business of keeping in mind that if we cannot PIF every card every month there is the potential risk that if something tragic were to happen to one of us- we could be back in the mess that we created years ago- where we were up at night wondering how  to pay off all those bills, dealing w/ collections, etc.

I am not trying to pull a Dave Ramsey, and not trying to rain on everyone's good parade of luck. But again, if we can't pay off every CC and loan in full besides mortgage and student loans we are IN DEBT and need to act accordingly.

Like I said- I am an offender and with that being said, am going to dip into saving and pay off last 3 CC's by Dec and follow my New Years resolutions that was posted on another thread.

Chow.
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Back to business everyone- credit is NO JOKE!

I think a little humor and some off topic fun is fine.  But if the Moderators say that we all need to be good children and stay on topic, then so be it.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 30
Cory
Established Contributor

I truly, truly appreciate your frankness.

Cory
Message 3 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thanks, NP! And if anything, the humor ought to serve as a warning that credit needs to be handled with care, because it can blow up on you in truly spectacular ways.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 30
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Thanks, NP! And if anything, the humor ought to serve as a warning that credit needs to be handled with care, because it can blow up on you in truly spectacular ways.

lmao! I love your wording "blow up in spectacular ways"

I see fireworks in the near future =P (08!)

Thanks Netpanther for a truly blunt but caring post.

My only concern is ashabbir, which cc will he get denied for next year? Lmao
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:
I think a little humor and some off topic fun is fine.  But if the Moderators say that we all need to be good children and stay on topic, then so be it.

Hey what mod said that?  j/k.  But I do agree with netpanther. I have been seeong some scary things over the past couple of weeks.  Enough to give even Brammy shivers about the potential for trouble.  Its great if you can get cards, but if you've ahd a hard time in the past, I would build slowly just to make sure I have a system in place to ensure everone gets paid on time.

I love success stories, but some of the stories lately have been absolutely unnecesary as for as applying for new credit.  I have my fingers crossed that everyone here will have the ability to pay for all the shiny new plastic especially after the holidays.

Message 6 of 30
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Brammy wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Hey what mod said that?  j/k.  But I do agree with netpanther. I have been seeong some scary things over the past couple of weeks.  Enough to give even Brammy shivers about the potential for trouble.  Its great if you can get cards, but if you've ahd a hard time in the past, I would build slowly just to make sure I have a system in place to ensure everone gets paid on time.

I love success stories, but some of the stories lately have been absolutely unnecesary as for as applying for new credit.  I have my fingers crossed that everyone here will have the ability to pay for all the shiny new plastic especially after the holidays.

As a wise person (I think on the distaff side) once said, If you can't be a good example, at least you can be a dire warning.

Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree.

Someone new to the credit world could be reading certain posts and get sucked in and not know what they are getting themselves into. Humans are competitive by nature. I have found myself wanting to apply for some of the cards I see everyone talking about "just to have one". Luckily, I haven't been on an app'ing spree, but hey to each his/her own I guess.
Seriously, I did come to the website to learn how to increase my score for the long haul and so far I am doing good.
Not knowing how to handle CC's and app'ing a lot could be fun at first but a little overwhelming after a while trying to keep up with all of the bills to pay. I am sure not everyone "sock drawering" all of their cards.

I am sure a lot of people that read these forums have had their share of credit problems and know how easy it is to lose control.

I think we should get back to business as well.....

Let's go!
Message 8 of 30
kclb
Regular Contributor

That is true. It's so important to know your limitations when it comes to spending. Credit Cards are so simple and easy; we probably even take them for granted. Some may also live for their credit cards. I've had some crazy moments where I felt I was going no where with my fico scores. I had to verbally kick myself and try my best. It's still a learning process for me and I don't expect it will end soon.

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 9 of 30
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

myFICO® provides these Forums as an educational and entertaining platform for people to share their credit knowledge and personal financial experiences with other members of this online community.
This is a great way to learn what others have already learned about FICO scoring and personal credit management.

It says.  Smiley Very Happy  Some of the personal experiences shared should probably be thought of as not necessarily appropriate for normal people  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 11-13-2007 05:43 PM
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.