Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdated on Amex (au) ???

tag
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Backdated on Amex (au) ???

ok, so I was looking at my hubby's Zinc acct and I am an AU on it. Well his says he has been a member since 2012 but my log in says member since 1990 (had a card back in college that didnt end too well); I wonder will this help me out whenever I get ready to apply for my own card?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Backdated on Amex (au) ???

Being an AU helps with some lenders' scoring system.  Some ignore it.  But assuming they take that into account, it should be reporting as a card you have had since 1990 which should help a bunch because of helping your AAoA etc.  If you are asking if it will help you get your own AMEX, I am unclear if AU status helps you.  In the future, any new AMEXs should really help your AAoA.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 14
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Thanks

Message 3 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1.  If your member since date is showing 1990 then any new cards you open will should also be backdated to 1990 as well, so yes they would certainly help your AAoA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ NikJ4,

Your own Amex or some other card? It will obviously help your score but ACM status doesn't build history with Amex because you're not a member.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
readyfireaim
New Contributor

I might be wrong, but I thought AMEX only backdates to AU/ACMs to the year that they became an AU/ACM, not to the date that the original card holder became a member.

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 6 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@readyfireaim wrote:

I might be wrong, but I thought AMEX only backdates to AU/ACMs to the year that they became an AU/ACM, not to the date that the original card holder became a member.

Since OP had her OWN acct in 1990, Amex backdated her member since date to when she originally became a member. If she had NOT had her own Amex and became an AU (which they really don't call AU) on an Amex, and got her own Amex later, then it most likely would NOT backdate to when she became an AU.

Amex used to backdate to when someone first became an AU, but usually that doesn't happen anymore.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 14
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@readyfireaim wrote:

Since OP had her OWN acct in 1990, Amex backdated her member since date to when she originally became a member. If she had NOT had her own Amex and became an AU (which they really don't call AU) on an Amex, and got her own Amex later, then it most likely would NOT backdate to when she became an AU.

Amex used to backdate to when someone first became an AU, but usually that doesn't happen anymore.

ok if Amex doesnt really call it an AU what do they call it?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes what do they call it then, Jeopardy music queued! 

Message 9 of 14
readyfireaim
New Contributor

I think they use the term Additional Card Member (ACM).

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.