Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdating Amex in feb instead of jan?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Backdating Amex in feb instead of jan?

i know the optimal time for backdating an amex is january. 

but technically if you app for any other month say for example march it still backdates to 3/whatever year you first joined. 

so technically all you lose is the time that you wouldnt have the card anyways? correct? 

say you got one in july of 2010 to make it easy so 7/10

then get another amex in 3/13 and reports as 3/10 instead of the 1/10 or hell even the 7/10 to report as equal to the first card 

3/10-3/13 is still 3 years of backdating but if you app 1/13 (so 3 years 2 months)the time it takes from 1/13 to 3/13 is just the time you wouldve gotten anyway for having the card the extra two months? 

the whole reason im asking this is becuase i really want to app for the bce or true earnings in feb but as you can see i have lots of inqs and dont want a measly little limit. 

in jan ill have one inq age over a year but on feb 8th 4 of the total would be over a year  and the rest june until aug 30th was my last app for amex/ car loan. which both i got. 

besides another amex and possibly asking chase for a cli in august i dont plan on applying for anything else 

might as well just app for the amex in jan 14 which is wanted to do originally but that seems sooo far away. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Backdating Amex in feb instead of jan?

@creditnocash wrote:

i know the optimal time for backdating an amex is january. 

but technically if you app for any other month say for example march it still backdates to 3/whatever year you first joined. 

so technically all you lose is the time that you wouldnt have the card anyways? correct? 

say you got one in july of 2010 to make it easy so 7/10

then get another amex in 3/13 and reports as 3/10 instead of the 1/10 or hell even the 7/10 to report as equal to the first card 

3/10-3/13 is still 3 years of backdating but if you app 1/13 (so 3 years 2 months)the time it takes from 1/13 to 3/13 is just the time you wouldve gotten anyway for having the card the extra two months? 

the whole reason im asking this is becuase i really want to app for the bce or true earnings in feb but as you can see i have lots of inqs and dont want a measly little limit. 

in jan ill have one inq age over a year but on feb 8th 4 of the total would be over a year  and the rest june until aug 30th was my last app for amex/ car loan. which both i got. 

besides another amex and possibly asking chase for a cli in august i dont plan on applying for anything else 

might as well just app for the amex in jan 14 which is wanted to do originally but that seems sooo far away. 

Yes, you've got the backdating down. Most people just like the idea of having a full year of backdating, instead of 11 mos (in Feb) or whatever.

On the one hand, since you already have an Amex, you don't have much to lose because if you're not approved, you won't have a HP. And if you do get a lower CL, you can CLI in 61 days (not guaranteed, but still as possible as getting a higher CL to start w/ in Feb).

Really, it doesn't matter if you get the Amex this year or next, since any new cards w/be backdated to your original year. If you really want the card, then I'd probably app in Jan to try for the whole year of backdating, since that's going to last for the life of the card. If you're wanting it more for the backdating, then I would probably wait until those inq fall off and app next Jan. Though, again, you really have nothing to lose by apping this Jan since you already have an Amex. Usually the downside of apping too soon is the HP you're stuck with. In your case, that's not an issue.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.