Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdating for AC's on an AMEX account

tag
sdoonan
Contributor

Backdating for AC's on an AMEX account

Hi all,

Is it possible for me, if I'm added to someone's account as an additional cardholder, to have my card backdated? I realize this sounds silly, but I was just wondering if someone knew the answer to this.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Backdating for AC's on an AMEX account

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

It shouldn't work, because you're not a "member since", but there are enough accounts of AU cards being backdated, and then a new fer-real app for a different card getting the old date, that it's obvious that some folks get lucky.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
sdoonan
Contributor

I apologize, I should clarify:

I had an AMEX card before I got added as an additional cardholder to this new card. I was wondering if I could get backdated to my original AMEX account year.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yes, I think they will backdate you to the date of your previous AMEX card, assuming that it isn't charged off/unpaid.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@pizzadude wrote:
Yes, I think they will backdate you to the date of your previous AMEX card, assuming that it isn't charged off/unpaid.

+1

OP, do you have the account number for your old account? They will try to dig it up, but having the account number helps enormously.

AmEx masks account numbers on credit reports for your protection, so the number that shows there won't help you. Smiley Sad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
sdoonan
Contributor

It's still an active account. I'm surprised they didn't find it the first time.

I'll look into it when I return from my travels in January.

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

When you log into your AMEX account, do you see the date of your card where it says "Member Since XXXX" , and are both the AU card and your card showing ?

If so then you should already be backdated on your CR, regardless of the date that shows on your AU card....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.