Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdating with AMEX

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Backdating with AMEX

I had an AMEX in 2001 that I closed in 2005 due to no use (time when i was still ignorant of credit and how it works).

So my AAoA is 4.5 years and will hit 5 years in Nov this year. i applied for all 3 of my credit cards and got them in Nov 2008.

I'm hoping to add one or two AMEX's next year to take advantage of backdating . That would give me 11 years with AMEX.

So if I get two cards, say the Green and the Zync, will they both be backdated to 2001? If yes, that would boost my AAoA a lot

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Backdating with AMEX

@CS800 wrote:

I had an AMEX in 2001 that I closed in 2005 due to no use (time when I was still ignorant of credit and how it works).

So my AAoA is 4.5 years and will hit 5 years in Nov this year. I applied for all 3 of my credit cards and got them in Nov 2008.

I'm hoping to add one or two AMEX's next year to take advantage of backdating . That would give me 11 years with AMEX.

So if I get two cards, say the Green and the Zync, will they both be backdated to 2001? If yes, that would boost my AAoA a lot

Yes they should backdate as long as you closed the account when it was in good standing. Good luck! (BTW I'd personally look into a Charge/Revolving card combo with AMEX instead of two charge cards. Just my two cents!)

Message 2 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

Do you mean like a BoA AMEX or a USAA AMEX type card? will they still backdate those?

Now does AMEX have cards that you don't have to pay in full at teh end of each month?

The AMEX I had was closed at my request and had a 0 balance. I wasnt using the card at all and from some bad advice back then closed it.

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only cards issues by Amex will backdate. They issue revolving cards also.

Message 4 of 33
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Do you mean like a BoA AMEX or a USAA AMEX type card? will they still backdate those?

Now does AMEX have cards that you don't have to pay in full at teh end of each month?

The AMEX I had was closed at my request and had a 0 balance. I wasnt using the card at all and from some bad advice back then closed it.

No, cards issued by American Express (the bank) only backdate. Cards issued by other Banks that use the AMEX network (such as those you've mentioned) do not back date.

Yes Amex have cards that function as regular credit cards such as thier Blue Cards. I recommend going to the AMEX website to review some of their revolver options. Some have annual fees while others do not.

And since you closed the account in good standing, then backdating shouldn't be an issue! Remember, the account has to be issued by American Express to get the backdating perk (not by BOA or USAA).

Message 5 of 33
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I don't think they backdate cobranded cards.

If you had a Amex (not cobranded) and you want to take advantage of backdating, I would apply in January so the open date is January 2001 instead of, say, December 2001. The month they show as date opened will be the month you apply and they tack on the member since year. In that scenario, if you apply in January, your AAoA will be 11 months longer than if you applied in December. Hope that makes sense.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 33
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ficofox wrote:

If you had a Amex (not cobranded) and you want to take advantage of backdating, I would apply in January so the open date is January 2001 instead of, say, December 2001. The month they show as date opened will be the month you apply and they tack on the member since year. In that scenario, if you apply in January, your AAoA will be 11 months longer than if you applied in December. Hope that makes sense.

Slight clarification.  You mean that he'll have 11 more months of age that will factor into his AAoA.  But his AAoA will not be 11 months longer.  Overall increase in his AAoA is going to depend on how many other accounts are reporting.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 7 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

Seems like Blue Sky card is the one; no AF, travel rewards and notrequired to pay in full at teh end of the month.

I will wait to see my EX FICO next month and see how long it will take me to reach the 700 mark to apply

Message 8 of 33
ficofox
Regular Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@ficofox wrote:

Slight clarification.  You mean that he'll have 11 more months of age that will factor into his AAoA.  But his AAoA will not be 11 months longer.  Overall increase in his AAoA is going to depend on how many other accounts are reporting.

Yes, good clarification. So, if OP applies for 2 new AMEX cards in January 2012 his new reported AAoA should be 7 years:

currently 3 cards average age of 5 years (in November)

Plus 22 years (2 new AMEX cards acquired 1/2012 backdated to 1/2001)

= 5 cards at 37 years

= 7.4 AAoA  rounded down to report as 7 years

Right?

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 9 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

3 cards at 4 years of age a piece = 12 years

If I apply for an AMEX in Jan 2012 and they backdate it to June 2001, that gives me about 11 years give or take

So my AAoA becomes : 4+4+4+11 divide by 4 = 23/4 = 5.75 years

BUT if i apply for two AMEX's at the same time and they both backdate to 2001, that adds another 11 years so my AAoA becomes

4+4+4+11+11 divide by 5 = 34/5 = 6.8 years

So only time will help me increase my AAoA.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.