Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdoor and reconsider??????

tag
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Backdoor and reconsider??????

OK, this is going to be a real newbie question here so get ready.

What exactly is a backdoor number. I gather it's a way to ask for reconsideration when turned down initially, right? And if so, how exactly do you ask for reconsideration?

Any response would be helpful. thank you.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Backdoor and reconsider??????

dizbuster wrote:
The reason I ask the question is because I was turned down for a Hooters cc. I have read other posts that have stated they called the backdoor # and asked for a reconsideration and where approved. I thought maybe I would give it a try and see what happens. My current fico scores are   630, 629, 590. There probably not high enough yet though.

Unfortunately, I suspect you'll be right about your scores, especially nowadays, but the call to recon is worth a try.

When you call, just tell them you were denied and are calling to request reconsideration of your app - be prepared to answer their questions about whatever's on your reports that has your scores down.  If you have their denial letter already that cites their reasons for turning you down, be prepared to explain or counter those issues.  If you have recent baddies, it'll be tough going, but if they're a bit back and you've 'been good' since, emphasize that.

Good luck!

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 8 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Equinox
New Contributor

Backdoor numbers are generally used for getting in contact with people within the credit card company that have more authority to make changes on your account/reconsiderations/credit line increases/APR reductions.

Message 2 of 14
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Great, so what is the proper verbage to use when asking for a reconsideration? Is there a proper way to ask? Thank You.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing there's no special way to ask...if so I'd like to know myself.
Message 4 of 14
Scamp
Valued Contributor

dizbuster wrote:
Great, so what is the proper verbage to use when asking for a reconsideration? Is there a proper way to ask? Thank You.

It varies depending on the situation you're calling about - is it a reconsideration for an app for a new card, a CLI request a new or existing account, an APR reduction...?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for your information, I just asked for a cli last weekend, on a Chase credit card, and she put it the computer, and credit was increased from 4k to 5k. I said I wanted more than that, and she said call back monday and ask for the lending department.

I called back monday, and merely said I wanted a higher CLI, she said how much, I said, as much as I can get. She said I had to give a figure: I said 10K. She said hold on, she'd have an analyst look at it. She came back on a minute or two later and said my limit was increased to 10k.

I gave no reason, other than I wanted it, and they gave no reason, they just granted it.

Interesting, since this is at a time that CL's are supposed to be decreasing, and I think I have used the card twice since I received it two years ago, always PIF.

Message 6 of 14
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

The reason I ask the question is because I was turned down for a Hooters cc. I have read other posts that have stated they called the backdoor # and asked for a reconsideration and where approved. I thought maybe I would give it a try and see what happens. My current fico scores are   630, 629, 590. There probably not high enough yet though.
Message 7 of 14
Scamp
Valued Contributor

dizbuster wrote:

Unfortunately, I suspect you'll be right about your scores, especially nowadays, but the call to recon is worth a try.

When you call, just tell them you were denied and are calling to request reconsideration of your app - be prepared to answer their questions about whatever's on your reports that has your scores down.  If you have their denial letter already that cites their reasons for turning you down, be prepared to explain or counter those issues.  If you have recent baddies, it'll be tough going, but if they're a bit back and you've 'been good' since, emphasize that.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 14
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Scamp,

I think I will pay down some cards first and try again sometime this summer. My most recent baddie was about a year ago with no lates for about four years now. I have been approved for many new accounts in the last few months mostly store cards though, I wanted a Visa or MasterCard. Thanks for your response I at least know what to expect now. thank you

Message 9 of 14
Scamp
Valued Contributor

dizbuster wrote:

Thanks Scamp,

I think I will pay down some cards first and try again sometime this summer. My most recent baddie was about a year ago with no lates for about four years now. I have been approved for many new accounts in the last few months mostly store cards though, I wanted a Visa or MasterCard. Thanks for your response I at least know what to expect now. thank you

You're welcome.  Happy to help.

However, on the waiting thing, if you go ahead and do that (which does sound like it might be best), you might want to wait until some of your inqs for these new accounts and the new accounts themselves have turned at least a year old; the inqs stop hurting your score at that point, and the new accounts stop dinging your score for being 'new', so if all else stays the same or gets better (paying down balances), you should see an additional bump-up in your scores as those anniversaries hit.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.