Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdoor for USAA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Backdoor for USAA?

Switched our auto & rental insurance today to USAA. Long convo w/ CSR, told her our scores & she said we should have no problem getting approved for either the MC or AE. I asked if we needed to wait til we had the checking acc't opened to apply, she said no, urged me to apply.

We app'd online, instant DECLINE. Any # where I can talk to a human (a different human, that won't mislead me...) and either ask for a reconsideration or recoded to soft pull?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Backdoor for USAA?

No backdoor that I know of, and not really needed. I would call CC Dept directly. I don't think all the CSRs form the other Depts (e.g. auto insurance) have been keeping up on their internal CC news, because a memo was sent two weeks ago stating the removal of the USAA website luv button and the changing (harder) credit standards for the Amex and MC (esp the Amex).

Last week, when my GF called to do some changes to her car insurance she also asked about a CLI for her MC. They guy told her to go online and do it. When we told him it is not possible, he said wait a minute...he went and spoke with his manager...he then came back, apologized and referenced the memos I discussed earlier. I doubt it was intentional and I think these changes are more recent. Just call CC Dept directly and see what they can do. Good luck!
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a # for the cc dept? When I call, asked to talk about our recent online app, I was told it's all auto online & there's noone to talk to??
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ivy if you call the regular number you should be able to get the credit card department if you ask for them

THe phone number on the back of my USAA card is 1-800-922-9092 maybe that will make a difference but I'm not sure. I have spoken to someone in the CC department by calling the main number before b/c if you get deployed or move they lower your interest rate to 4% for the duration of the deployment or for a year when you move! (at least for AD)

As an aside; I've actually found them to be kind of a stickler, we applied for an auto loan with them about 3.5 years ago and they said no, Marine Fed we walked in and they told us an amount with their best interest rate. Now that I've seen when my lates were they were probably only a year prior to asking for that loan though so that could have been the issue with USAA>
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also dial #USAA from your cell, say or wait for the operator, then asked to be transferred to the CC Dept. Good luck!
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the cc number, and ask to speak to the underwriters for a recon, they'll transfer you. I tried a few months back, but my utilization was too high and my score too low. Smiley Sad

BTW, what was your score? The underwriter I spoke with said they like to see at least a 650. My measly 633 wasn't cutting it. Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Lyyssa on 04-09-2008 07:36 PM
Message 6 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I always call 800-531-2265 and go through the menu. Hit whatever the number is for CC's.

If nothing else, maybe you can get them to re-code it to a soft inq, since you were given incorrect info by another USAA employee.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lyysa,
I told her before we app'd, mine are low 600's one is still in 580's and DH is low 600's highest 634. She said those scores would be fine... that she couldn't guarantee it of course, but she was sure we'd be fine. BS. Grrr. Blew an inq. And I asked her too, told her I didn't want to get pulled unless we knew we could get approval and she still said we should really apply.

I'll call tomorrow & see if we can get reconsidered. Is it better to call right after, or does it matter if I wait til tomorrow?
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lyssa - I think you can call tomorrow, beside CS closes at 9 pm CST...good luck and let us know if you are successful!
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ivy, I opened an account with them this past January. The representative told me not to even try to apply for a credit card or mortgage unless my scores were atleast a 720. 

So, I am waiting patiently. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.