Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdoor way to get AMEX NPSL internal limit

tag
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: Backdoor way to get AMEX NPSL internal limit

I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you.  

I hit the "Check Your Spending Ability" link the first day I got my Green card (NPSL) a week or so ago, and I asked for $2800 (paying school tuition for this Summer quarter). It told me yes, I charged it that day, and have already paid it off.  

I don't think increasing your charge amount (over the $1500 you've already charged in the past) would be a problem.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 11 of 31
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:
Just spend up to your limit and pay ASAP. Doesn't have to be whole bill. Just to free up space on card. You will find your internal limit rises to where you want it to be that way.

Thats the problem I don't know what the limit is. The highest ive gptten on the card is $1,500. I'm kinda spooked to go further next month.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The more you spend, the higher your 'internal limit' goes up. I had my Zync gradually

Month 1 -$200

Month 2- $700 and

Month 3 - $1500

Always went through. They learn your habits. I did use the option to check for a charge I was going to make for $4500 and it was approved.

Message 12 of 31
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Using the 'check your spending limit" tool is a lot easier than calling AMEX on the phone.

You limit will grow quickly from regular use. When I got my Gold card last June I checked my limit and the tool declined me at $2K. When I checked this afternoon it approved $50K. I have about $5K on the card at the moment so I assume my limit is higher than $55K. I generally pay once per month after the statement cuts. At this point I really have no reason to check my limit as I will never charge that much on the card.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 13 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I didn't have Amex charge card for a long time. Got my plat and it was like 3.5k internal limit which was worthless to me. After 2-3 months, it let me put 70k on it and I stopped worrying about it. The way I did it was paying often, like several times a month. Additionally I even prepaid them 8k above outstanding balance. First month put like 20ish thousand on it that way. Probably 30ishk next month and didn't need to prepay. Ran like 70ishk the third month.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I don't intend to spend that much, maybe 2k at max for now. Guess I just need to relax lol

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If it isn't FR it's internal limits! LOL

1. I don't really see why people get upset about being declined, I mean if I was with a client or something that might be an issue if at dinner they have to come back for another card, but at 711, Macy's, Mcdonalds, I don't know where you shop but you must carry more than your Amex?

2. even if you do get declined, either pay with something else or say will you put this on hold, I will call and get right back to you... "IF" You have hit the internal limit or what not, you can make a payment right then and there, even usually payment many days out and they will consider you good and on you can go charging again.

3. If you want this Charge card to be your go to card (based on OP) and you have charged $500 and then about a $1k but you really need to be able to charge $5k to make it work for you monthly, I am not going to spend a year getting to that number just because you can't find out your internal EXACT $ or because you don't want to be declined.

CHARGE CHARGE CHARGE!!! The faster you charge more and make multiple payments if it makes you feel better to not get declined, the faster and higher that limit will be

The "ONLY" time I would call Amex about spending, unless I had been declined or they sent me postcard or called me was back when I first started my business and I would call to tell them I would be out of town because I was use to my Chase, Citi, etc. going crazy if I left state lines without warning.

I would say Im traveling and will have high spending... They usually told me what did I think I would spend, Id say $12-$15k and they would say that will not be a problem... or I would say if you get up to $15k range and need more, give us a call and shouldn't be a problem but up to $15k won't be an issue.

If a rep says they can't give you ballpark and you can't use the test charge online, I would say I would like to make a purchase in store for $10k, if they can't say rather it will be approved or not, ask for someone that could get you that answer!

Remember Amex wants the merchant fess!!! They are going to try to get out of your way as fast as they can if they feel like they can trust you, which happens very fast if for a few months you help with the new relationship... recetly believe it was business but a guy got his account up over $50k in under 6 months if I remember correctly... he made several payments a month in the beginning but still...

Not sure if anyone watches reality tv and how much is set up but Bethany Frankel skinny margarita girl just bought art from a street vendor on last weeks show and her platinum amex charge was declined to call in and verify!  She just kind of said go figure all those years ago I couldn't pay my rent or afford the card but they never wanted me to call or to talk to me and now I have the money to pay it and they want to talk to me, go figure!

Message 16 of 31
GoingTo800
Contributor

Glad I don't have or want a amex, all this seems like way more headache than its worth lol
Equifax Feb 2012 690
TU Feb 2012 720
Message 17 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Not really. Plus you can build internal limits On charge card much faster than you ever could with credit card limit. I went from 3ishk to at least 70ishk in a few months. Show me a credit card I could do that with.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 18 of 31
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

The CSR told me they learn my habits, and that if I wanted to spend an amount that was way outside my normal monthly spending habit, he said to call, and it would go through.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 19 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Appreciate the input guys!!!

I'm just gonna keep going as I have and hope I don't hit a speedbump on the way Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.