cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad credit but I need a credit card or charge card.

tag
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Bad credit but I need a credit card or charge card.

Hi all,

My credit is really bad!  It is 521 because of some past collection accounts but I am in the process of rebuilding.  I heard that it may be easier to get approved for an Amex Charge card rather than a regular credit card.  Is this true?  I know that I should go the secured card route but I would prefer not doing so.  My income is ok (around 50K).  The only good account I have is my car loan but I have only made 5 payments so far.  I have no revolving credit becuase I closed all my cards once I paid them and now they refuse to reopen them. 

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: Bad credit but I need a credit card or charge card.

@Elizabethd1012 wrote:

Hi all,

My credit is really bad!  It is 521 because of some past collection accounts but I am in the process of rebuilding.  I heard that it may be easier to get approved for an Amex Charge card rather than a regular credit card.  Is this true?  I know that I should go the secured card route but I would prefer not doing so.  My income is ok (around 50K).  The only good account I have is my car loan but I have only made 5 payments so far.  I have no revolving credit becuase I closed all my cards once I paid them and now they refuse to reopen them. 

I don't think you can qualify for an Amex with a 521. Try the capitol one or hsbc preapproval sites. Come to think of it, Amex does have a preapproval as well. These do not involve an inquiry unless you apply. Try these first and then you may want to try for a secured card if all else fails.
Message 2 of 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Bad credit but I need a credit card or charge card.

@Elizabethd1012 wrote:

Hi all,

Absolutely not!    You will need to improve your scores before apping for any Prime cards.  A secured card is your best option and route.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.