Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad idea with Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad idea with Amex?

Here's some backround before my question

Got a Delta Gold last June.  Always PIF even though I did not have to.  CLD anyway last December with lame excuses.

My question is, would carrying a balance for 2-4 weeks cause alarm since I have always PIF? 

I am going out of town and I may make a purchase on the card for around $800.  $600 will be paid back immediately (or atleast when I get home) and the rest will be paid in the next month.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Bad idea with Amex?

CLD come every 6 months usually if your in amex' sites, and they are usually okay with balances as long as they are paid within 3 months
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  It will certainly be paid before 3 months.

Now I'm worried.  I was planning on calling them to let them know if would use the card out of state.  I am debating on whether this is necessary since I've used my card out of state before without issue.

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

last time I called amex to tell them I was traveling, they said I did not need to call ever
Message 4 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It will certainly be paid before 3 months.

Now I'm worried.  I was planning on calling them to let them know if would use the card out of state.  I am debating on whether this is necessary since I've used my card out of state before without issue.

My card is a Delta Gold. They didn't even want to know that I was going to use my card in Paris. The CSR told me they don't note that on the account.

I think they are used to those who travel....a lot. You certainly don' t need to notify them that you will be using the card out of state. Don't wake the giant if you don't have to.

Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, you might have gotten lucky on that one! Smiley Surprised

When I called to let them know I'd be traveling with the Gold, they thanked me for doing so, and said that usage of the card out of the metro area around my home would probably have triggered some calls to me to verify that I was the one using it. This was 18 months ago.

And we've had posts from irritated members in the past whose accounts were frozen d/t usage in travel, especially overseas.

I'm sure that if you're a long-term customer who has already done a lot of traveling, they wouldn't react the same way.

Maybe they've lightened up on this??
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Hauling, my call to them was in July. I only got my card in May. I was surprised. I called 3 cards to have them note that I would be traveling overseas. The other two took my information. AmEx thanked me for calling but said they didn't need that information.
Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hunh, I wonder if it's because you have the Delta, which implies lots of air travel?

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this. I think it's bad for us forum members in general to think that we have actually figured out a CCC. Smiley Very Happy

Happy travels!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I hope the people posting that they hate and will not ever do business with the CCC'S again, feel strongly that they have figured them out. These kinds of posts are quite prevalent, but based in emotion, not fact. Yes , Hauling it is bad for all, but most keep up the rants.

I have called AMEX through the years about travel. It has always been a nice chat and they acted like I was doing them a service; but actually, I think they were just being friendly and having a break from all the ranters.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Hunh, I wonder if it's because you have the Delta, which implies lots of air travel?

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this. I think it's bad for us forum members in general to think that we have actually figured out a CCC. Smiley Very Happy

Happy travels!

CI
Message 9 of 11
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Have had AMEX ffor 29 years and have travelled all over the world and have NEVER called them to tell them I was travelling.  Have been called 'to the phone' for extra verification about 3 times, all for substantial purchases  (Switzerland in 1982 for ~$10,000, NYC in 1993 for $7,000, and St. Maarten in 2008 for $20,000).  Other than that, never a problem.  I just don't think it is necessary to tell them when travelling, that is the whole idea of a card like AMEX.  The less you bother the CCC's and raise flags the better off you are, imo.  If they want to verify your identity they will call you to the phone to ask you some security questions, or ask the store to physically verify the identiy (passport, picture ID, etc).

That goes double with any Corporate AMEX cards, they expect them to be used in all kinds of places.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 09-22-2009 10:09 PM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.