Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Advice

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balance Transfer Advice

Oh yikes, hate you had to get a HP for the CLI! Smiley Sad If it's the same HP, might as well, but if not, then just wait.. best to wait to get best interest rate and best chance at the full 15k, possibly? Unless you think you'll get the 15k right off the bat? I'm not a NFCU expert at all! I wish I was.

Amex and Discover's APR can be lowered via Chat, so that's good. (I know you said the Discover was a 0% APR -not sure if that was a BT offer or a intro 0% apr or not.)

Try to not let so many balances report if you can. (Like pay the Best buy and USAA off and don't let a balance report to those for a while.) Maybe pay off NFCU cash card then work on the Discover utilization? That way you have 3 cards with zero balances then. What do you think of that?
Message 11 of 14
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

Perfect! I already lowered my Amex a few days ago, didn't know could chat discover so thank you! Doing that now since the 0% was a BT offer I got.

how can I tell if it will be the same HP? Is it worth it for me to app now for LOC since I've already taken a HP.

Definitely will let the low ones report 0 balance, paying them off now

Edit: Chatted with Discover, and no APR reduction but I did get 0% on purchases for 1 year, so I have 0% on purchases and 0% on BT.

I tried to do SP CLI but it wanted me to authorize HP, should I? 

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ayeecorreia wrote:

Perfect! I already lowered my Amex a few days ago, didn't know could chat discover so thank you! Doing that now since the 0% was a BT offer I got.

how can I tell if it will be the same HP? Is it worth it for me to app now for LOC since I've already taken a HP.

Definitely will let the low ones report 0 balance, paying them off now

Edit: Chatted with Discover, and no APR reduction but I did get 0% on purchases for 1 year, so I have 0% on purchases and 0% on BT.

I tried to do SP CLI but it wanted me to authorize HP, should I? 

Unfortunately NFCU will HP you twice if you don't cancel the CLI request on your CC and still apply for the LOC, sadly they don't combine HPs, and they're different departments, CC and LOC.  

I can tell you this first hand as I applied for a LOC and CC the same day, two HPs.  A couple months later I requested a CLI on my CC, got the 3-5 day message, and also requested a CLI on my LOC, two more HPs...

Oz

Message 13 of 14
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

they granted my increase, not what I wanted (I asked for 10k) but an increase is an increase.

Is this time to app for LOC now? ONly reason is I want to have it, and since it appears they let my Cashrewards up now it will be a visa siggy Smiley Happy

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 12.14.30 PM.png

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.