cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Balance from store card to discover card

tag

Balance Transfer Balance from store card to discover card

This is my first post to this amazing community of financial prosperity seekers, so I'll try to summarize briefly.

I have a Walmart Store CC (not their discover card) with a $600 balance, $700 limit and it's at 22.9%!!!

I just received my Discover More card a couple weeks ago with a $3,000 limit and 0% intro apr AND

Balance transfer both for 15 months. After that it's 18%. The BT fee is 3%.

I'd like to BT the $600 to the $3,000 limit and that's all that card will be used for.

That should bring my overall credit limits to 3,700 with a balance of $600 on the $3,000 card.

I'm beginning a new job next month where I'll be able to pay off that $600 in one month if I wanted to.

IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

Thanks to all who have input.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Balance from store card to discover card

I don't think you can do a balance transfer with a store card that does not use Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover directly. What you can do is call Discover and ask for a convenience check, then use that check on your store card. This is assuming that the convenience check is treated as a balance transfer, and confirms with your intro term. 

As for whether or not it is worth it, consider BT will cost you $18. Are your monthly interest greater than $18? I highly recommend you PIF this balance next month whether or not you BT.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, heytherehitherhothere! Welcome to the myFICO Forums! Smiley Happy

While I'm not sure how much interest you'd actually be saving, vs. the 3% BT fee (approx $18) to Discover, overall, I'd say that the BT is a reasonable deal-- a net gain. It sounds as though you have only the two cards, so you should also see a FICO score boost from the reduced utilization, and the addition of a major bank card as well. Congrats!

Message 3 of 4
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Definitely do it. Allows you to pay down the balance without interest over several months.

And yes, you can transfer a store card balance to your Discover More, I did so myself less than a month ago with no issues.

ImageImageImage

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.