Contributor
heytherehitherehothere

Balance Transfer Balance from store card to discover card

This is my first post to this amazing community of financial prosperity seekers, so I'll try to summarize briefly.

I have a Walmart Store CC (not their discover card) with a $600 balance, $700 limit and it's at 22.9%!!!

I just received my Discover More card a couple weeks ago with a $3,000 limit and 0% intro apr AND

Balance transfer both for 15 months. After that it's 18%. The BT fee is 3%.

I'd like to BT the $600 to the $3,000 limit and that's all that card will be used for.

That should bring my overall credit limits to 3,700 with a balance of $600 on the $3,000 card.

I'm beginning a new job next month where I'll be able to pay off that $600 in one month if I wanted to.

IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

Thanks to all who have input.

Valued Contributor
trumpet-205

Re: Balance Transfer Balance from store card to discover card

I don't think you can do a balance transfer with a store card that does not use Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover directly. What you can do is call Discover and ask for a convenience check, then use that check on your store card. This is assuming that the convenience check is treated as a balance transfer, and confirms with your intro term. 

As for whether or not it is worth it, consider BT will cost you $18. Are your monthly interest greater than $18? I highly recommend you PIF this balance next month whether or not you BT.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Hello, heytherehitherhothere! Welcome to the myFICO Forums! :smileyhappy:

While I'm not sure how much interest you'd actually be saving, vs. the 3% BT fee (approx $18) to Discover, overall, I'd say that the BT is a reasonable deal-- a net gain. It sounds as though you have only the two cards, so you should also see a FICO score boost from the reduced utilization, and the addition of a major bank card as well. Congrats!

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Frequent Contributor
slarano

Definitely do it. Allows you to pay down the balance without interest over several months.

And yes, you can transfer a store card balance to your Discover More, I did so myself less than a month ago with no issues.

myFICO Starting Scores: TU 643 03.10.09 EX 676 01.09.09 EQ 638 05.24.09
Current Score: (WalMart FICO) TU 792 04.03.13 (Mortgage Lender - HP) EX 745 02.06.13 (Mortgage Lender - HP) EQ 771 02.06.13
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}