Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Checks

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Balance Transfer Checks

I'm in a bit of a jam. Which CCC offers a BT check that you can deposit into your account as soon as you get approved? No waiting period. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Checks

@JSS3 wrote:

I'm in a bit of a jam. Which CCC offers a BT check that you can deposit into your account as soon as you get approved? No waiting period. 

I had 2 checks included with the paperwork when my Citi Simplicity card came, but I'm not entirely sure how they work exactly.  I do intend to use one to pay off a loan I have through my credit union that's 12% for 24 months.  I can pay just a little more and pay it off within the 18 month 0% period easily so I can't imagine any reason not to do it.

I plan to call Citi tomorrow and see exactly how they work.  I am assuming I can just write it out and deposit it in my checking acount and then pay the loan off with the money.  Id this correct?  Is that all there is to it?

Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@wacdenney wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

I had 2 checks included with the paperwork when my Citi Simplicity card came, but I'm not entirely sure how they work exactly.  I do intend to use one to pay off a loan I have through my credit union that's 12% for 24 months.  I can pay just a little more and pay it off within the 18 month 0% period easily so I can't imagine any reason not to do it.

I plan to call Citi tomorrow and see exactly how they work.  I am assuming I can just write it out and deposit it in my checking acount and then pay the loan off with the money.  Id this correct?  Is that all there is to it?

Read the small print that came with the checks, some banks prohibit deposit to checking account others encourage it.

Message 3 of 10
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
Read the small print that came with the checks, some banks prohibit deposit to checking account others encourage it.

Read the paperwork?!?  Surely there must be an easier way!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

Do you know the bank that does? That's the card I would apply for. Would love to know before applying.

I'm in dire need of a new furnace. 

Message 5 of 10
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Citibank and BofA both allow you to get a BT via direct deposit right into your checking account.  And it happens very quickly, usually next business day or the day after that.  I've done both in the past.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Barclays does it.  As a matter of fact, it seems like every week I'm getting 3 blank checks from them in the mail.  They are wearing out my shredder!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 10
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

Do you know the bank that does? That's the card I would apply for. Would love to know before applying.

will the company you purchase the furnace from take a CC? why pay a BT fee if there is one, if you can give them a card, or even a Postdated check for them to start work with a 30 day check, to give time for the cad to arrive, then go to their office and swipe the new card, collect your "held check"... get the bonus spend out of the way, etc etc.. If you can get the CL needed to do this purchase

OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 8 of 10
IWOL
Established Contributor

I got checks with my. US Bank Platinum card a few months ago and. I used them a couple of times to make deposits in my  B of A checking when I need a few days float before payroll.

They had a special offer on them of 2.99% for 12 months with a 3% fee

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@JSS3 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

I get BT checks from FNBO all the time but when account was first opened all BT had to be done by phone or online, checks started coming after I paid off the original BT.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.