Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Question

tag
Credit_Ranger
Valued Member

Balance Transfer Question

I have an an opportunity to transfer my  entire revolving debt, let's say it is $10,000, interest free for 6 mos, no fee, actually free.

My overall utilization is at 14% and I understand that the BT does not change that.

My dilemma is that the card I want to transfer to has a 10K limit and would be completely maxed out.

How much does 1 maxed out card hurt FICO score, when overall UT is pretty good?

I could transfer that 10K balance to 2 different cards, and avoid approaching my credit linit on either one, but would end up paying a fee on one of the transfers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Ranger Out...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
aloush11
Regular Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Question

Why don't you transfer $9000 and continue paying the rest, so you would have 2 payments ? Or call and see if they can bump your limit up so its not maxed out. 

I know regardless, once you go over 50% utl your score is going to drop, if your not apping for anything right now you can afford the score drop and try to pay it off asap!

Message 2 of 3
Credit_Ranger
Valued Member

Re: Balance Transfer Question

Well overall, my UT is only 14% and will stay that way.  I am just wondering how much of a hit there is for having 90% UT on ONE card.

...Ranger Out...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.