Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfer Question

For anyone with experience in balance transfers, how long does it usually take? I requested a balance transfer over a week ago on my new Citi Diamond Preferred. This is my first balance transfer so I don't have any experience. The card I paid off was a Cap One card. Yesterday the balance transfer posted as paid on the Citi account, however as of now my Cap One card still shows no activity. How long should I expect it to take for Cap One to post the payment? I'm only concerned because it is not pending on my Citi card anymore so the balance is already posted on it... 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Question

@Anonymous wrote:

For anyone with experience in balance transfers, how long does it usually take? I requested a balance transfer over a week ago on my new Citi Diamond Preferred. This is my first balance transfer so I don't have any experience. The card I paid off was a Cap One card. Yesterday the balance transfer posted as paid on the Citi account, however as of now my Cap One card still shows no activity. How long should I expect it to take for Cap One to post the payment? I'm only concerned because it is not pending on my Citi card anymore so the balance is already posted on it... 

its normal, 1-2 weeks are normal, always make at least the minimum payment when you do BT's or you will get burned.. they always take much longer than expected, and of course you get to stress the whole time. did I get the account # right, are they going to reject it.. is always worrisom that a multi-thousand dollar transaction takes forever.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It can take a while depending on the bank.  It is normal that you will see it on the card taking the balance first.  It can easily be a week after the card taking the balance clears before you see it on the old card.  I wouldn't worry.

Last time I did a BT my new card reported the balance before the old card was paid off, so that was kind of a bummer.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its normal, 1-2 weeks are normal, always make at least the minimum payment when you do BT's or you will get burned.. they always take much longer than expected, and of course you get to stress the whole time. did I get the account # right, are they going to reject it.. is always worrisom that a multi-thousand dollar transaction takes forever.  

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it is worrisom, especially since I could have just paid that card off but I kind of wanted the experience with balance transfer. It was only about $700 transfer but I keep thinking maybe I got the account # wrong, etc. and I'm going to double pay LOL!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.