Regular Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer from Amex to Discover

But you are maybe right

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 21 of 25
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

For the record, to answer the original question (which I know is irrelevant now)... If the card has a 0% BT balance, but no 0% purchase offer, to avoid paying interest on new purchases, you would need to pay the minimum payment PLUS the total amount of your new purchases.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 22 of 25
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:
For the record, to answer the original question (which I know is irrelevant now)... If the card has a 0% BT balance, but no 0% purchase offer, to avoid paying interest on new purchases, you would need to pay the minimum payment PLUS the total amount of your new purchases.

From my experience, many lenders, if you let your purchases (on a BT card) close with the statement, they will charge you interest. No grace period to PIF by due date. So be careful.

Message 23 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:
I can pay it in full today, but I what to finance other expenses and take the Discover BT of 4.99% with no fees and pay it in 2 to 3 months (like some one told me is just 1.66 in interest) 1.66 * 3 = $4.98

You should BT the $350 from the AMEX to the Discover, using the No Fee 4.99% APR offer. Plan on paying enough each month to pay that part to zero in three months.

You say you are using your AMEX as your primary card. Continue to do that.

On the off chance that you end up charging something to your Discover card, while this 4.99% APR is going on, then yes, you will incur some small amount of interest. But even at 18% APR, this means you will pay 1.5% of the Purchases balance as interest for one or two months until you get it paid. So if you had to make a $20 charge on the Discover because they did not accept AMEX, you pay some small amount (perhaps a minimum interest charge).

But the most important reason to do this is that you gain direct experience with carrying a small balance on Discover, and see what happens when you add charges. We can try to explain all the possible scenarios here, but the best way to learn about how these sorts of things work, is to actually experience them for yourself. You can then approach a future situation with much clearer understanding of what the likely outcome is.

And it will not cost you much.

The other option is to call Discover and see if they have a 0% APR offer on Purchases for you. These are quite common offers that people get, for a 12-month period, by asking. Discover may say no, but if they say yes, then it separates out your purchases from any BT offers you have going.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 25
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Isacking97 wrote:
I can pay it in full today, but I what to finance other expenses and take the Discover BT of 4.99% with no fees and pay it in 2 to 3 months (like some one told me is just 1.66 in interest) 1.66 * 3 = $4.98

You should BT the $350 from the AMEX to the Discover, using the No Fee 4.99% APR offer. Plan on paying enough each month to pay that part to zero in three months.

You say you are using your AMEX as your primary card. Continue to do that.

On the off chance that you end up charging something to your Discover card, while this 4.99% APR is going on, then yes, you will incur some small amount of interest. But even at 18% APR, this means you will pay 1.5% of the Purchases balance as interest for one or two months until you get it paid. So if you had to make a $20 charge on the Discover because they did not accept AMEX, you pay some small amount (perhaps a minimum interest charge).

But the most important reason to do this is that you gain direct experience with carrying a small balance on Discover, and see what happens when you add charges. We can try to explain all the possible scenarios here, but the best way to learn about how these sorts of things work, is to actually experience them for yourself. You can then approach a future situation with much clearer understanding of what the likely outcome is.

And it will not cost you much.

The other option is to call Discover and see if they have a 0% APR offer on Purchases for you. These are quite common offers that people get, for a 12-month period, by asking. Discover may say no, but if they say yes, then it separates out your purchases from any BT offers you have going.

Thank You, best comment 

I try d over 2 times to lower my APR but I have to what until July to get one (1 year anniversary)

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.