Established Member

Re: Balance Transfer from Dis to C1, then C1 to Dis-- will this work?

Do you mind elaborating also? Why would paying off/paying down (not what I am doing but essentially looks that way) hurt my credit? Or are you asking why I am carrying a $1500 balance on Discover while I have several others paid off? If that is your question- I was carrying a $500 balance on Discover before having dental work done this month. It's the only card I carry a balance on. Either way, I am simply asking because I am learning and want to continue to learn. As I previously stated, I'm well aware that this is not a fix.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something you can do that may help

Try for SP only CLI's 

If you can afford to pay a big chunk of the card in question off but I know since you maybe saving for downpayment this may not be an option 

any of those 2 would get you a few points

+ Chase ink =

Established Member

This is not a deal breaker. I am 5 points short of a 700 (lender pull) and would simply get a better interest rate. Thank you for your input. Doesn't look like I'll be juggling the balance!
Established Member

Myjourney- thank you for your honest but positive feedback. I would have probably made a mistake had I not asked. You are right, it's not worth the few points I would gain. No use in risking a negative result. I have been so credit crazy these past few months and I am always eager to improve my score. Good to know this is too risky to do that.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

teachag89 wrote:
Myjourney- thank you for your honest but positive feedback. I would have probably made a mistake had I not asked. You are right, it's not worth the few points I would gain. No use in risking a negative result. I have been so credit crazy these past few months and I am always eager to improve my score. Good to know this is too risky to do that.

You are very welcome ...anytime Smiley Wink

+ Chase ink =

Established Contributor

What's the limit on your Discover? Are you maxed? If not, you're probably worrying yourself over nothing.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 698 EX04 710 TU08 729
Goal Score: 700+

Amex BCP $25000 | Discover IT $10250 | PSECU $10000 | Barclay Ring $6500 | Citi DC $6100 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Barclays Aviator $2400 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Established Member

Simply827- $6,000 limit on the Discover Card. I'd just like to get it down to $600 or so but that's not possible right now. It will have to wait.
Frequent Contributor

Do you have any cards you can get a SP CLI on, like any GE cards?  That would give you a higher total amount of credit available which would lower your utilization, which could help you gain a couple of points.  Also, with your Cap One, have you had that card for at least 6 months and have you had a CLI in the past 6 months?  If you have had it at least 6 months and haven't gotten a CLI in the past 6 months, email the EO (do a web search for the email address) and ask for a CLI.  Aim high - they will ask you if you will accept less if they can't accept the full amount.  It will be a SP.  I went from $1500 to $5000 to $7000 going this route.  You may even want to call Discover as they will sometimes do a CLI on a SP but make sure you stop if they say it will be a HP.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.