Established Member
teachag89

Re: Balance Transfer from Dis to C1, then C1 to Dis-- will this work?

Do you mind elaborating also? Why would paying off/paying down (not what I am doing but essentially looks that way) hurt my credit? Or are you asking why I am carrying a $1500 balance on Discover while I have several others paid off? If that is your question- I was carrying a $500 balance on Discover before having dental work done this month. It's the only card I carry a balance on. Either way, I am simply asking because I am learning and want to continue to learn. As I previously stated, I'm well aware that this is not a fix.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

[ Edited ]

Something you can do that may help

Try for SP only CLI's 

If you can afford to pay a big chunk of the card in question off but I know since you maybe saving for downpayment this may not be an option 

any of those 2 would get you a few points

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Established Member
teachag89

This is not a deal breaker. I am 5 points short of a 700 (lender pull) and would simply get a better interest rate. Thank you for your input. Doesn't look like I'll be juggling the balance!
Established Member
teachag89

Myjourney- thank you for your honest but positive feedback. I would have probably made a mistake had I not asked. You are right, it's not worth the few points I would gain. No use in risking a negative result. I have been so credit crazy these past few months and I am always eager to improve my score. Good to know this is too risky to do that.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

teachag89 wrote:
Myjourney- thank you for your honest but positive feedback. I would have probably made a mistake had I not asked. You are right, it's not worth the few points I would gain. No use in risking a negative result. I have been so credit crazy these past few months and I am always eager to improve my score. Good to know this is too risky to do that.

You are very welcome ...anytime :smileywink:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Established Contributor
Simply827

What's the limit on your Discover? Are you maxed? If not, you're probably worrying yourself over nothing.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ 682 EX 678 TU 683
Goal Score: 700+

PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | DCU $5000 | Citi TYP $4600 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Barclay Ring $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Cap 1 QS One $1500 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Established Member
teachag89

Simply827- $6,000 limit on the Discover Card. I'd just like to get it down to $600 or so but that's not possible right now. It will have to wait.
Frequent Contributor
kimmiller112

Do you have any cards you can get a SP CLI on, like any GE cards?  That would give you a higher total amount of credit available which would lower your utilization, which could help you gain a couple of points.  Also, with your Cap One, have you had that card for at least 6 months and have you had a CLI in the past 6 months?  If you have had it at least 6 months and haven't gotten a CLI in the past 6 months, email the EO (do a web search for the email address) and ask for a CLI.  Aim high - they will ask you if you will accept less if they can't accept the full amount.  It will be a SP.  I went from $1500 to $5000 to $7000 going this route.  You may even want to call Discover as they will sometimes do a CLI on a SP but make sure you stop if they say it will be a HP.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $5000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+