Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfers Cards

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Balance Transfers Cards

@nycsimone wrote:

I say do it...who cares? If you have $10,000 in CC debt and you get a $10,000 CC...transfer it all in. Why pay $150 per month in interest? Get the Chase Slate card that has 0% interest for 15 months and no transfer fee. Also, as others have said...consolidate your cards. Lenders don't like to see people with 10+ credit cards. Get 2-3 cards with a high credit limit...it will look much better.

This depends on the lender, and very much on the individual profile.  Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd just point out that  (assuming a 0% interest BT) from a money-saving perspective, paying the minimum every month until the last when you pay-in-full is definitely the most effective option as future dollars are less valuable than present dollars. Obviously not ideal from a credit-scoring perspective, however.

Message 12 of 16
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd just point out that  (assuming a 0% interest BT) from a money-saving perspective, paying the minimum every month until the last when you pay-in-full is definitely the most effective option as future dollars are less valuable than present dollars. Obviously not ideal from a credit-scoring perspective, however.

That's certainly true, but I'd be concerned about psychological factors and the potential for things to derail. If the person puts aside a set amount every month and doesn't touch it, and will definitely have it when the final payment is due, then it makes sense (and some cents) from a strictly economical perspective, but I think there's a significant danger of one of two things happening: either the person won't set aside the required money because he/she will think they can catch up later given the longer time horizon, or the person may be tempted to spend the money they have set aside. If either happens the marginal financial gains are quickly erased by even a few higher interest payments. Plus of course the credit scoring ramifications you mentioned.

It's all about what works best for each individual, but personally my advice would be to work out a plan to pay a very set, regular amount every single month and plan to finish slightly early just in case. It may cost very slightly more this way on lost interest yield/opportunity cost, but it's fairly marginal, especially on 3K, and it seems like a much safe strategy to me. Just my opinion though.

Congrats with your balance transfer, OP Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the individual. Personally I like to consolidate debt onto 1 card once I've completed a project. It's simpler for me.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Everyone & especially NRB525, I did it.  Now Im in

total pay off mode and need to join the Gardening club! :-)

Kudos on your success!Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am shopping for a balance transfer credit card. Can someone point me to the best place/website/forum for information on the best balance transfer credit cards, especially on estimating the likely credit line on said card?

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.