Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfers

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Balance Transfers

Thankfully I have no balances to transfer but if I did would the CCC who was getting balances transferred from them be less inclined to give you more credit in the future?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance Transfers

Not that it has ever affected me. I do about 5-10 BTs a year and get CLIs after all debt is PIF. Never had a problem.
Message 2 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not that it has ever affected me. I do about 5-10 BTs a year and get CLIs after all debt is PIF. Never had a problem.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Say you have a balance on a Citi card and want to transfer that to a new Chase card. Would Citi be the jealous girlfriend and refuse to give you CLI's because you transferred money away from them?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jealous maybe? In my case when I do that they quickly send me a new BT offer that is lower to get me to BT back to them. I love it. I go back and fourth. Never had a problem. Always saved me money.
Message 4 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

ilovepizza wrote: Jealous maybe? In my case when I do that they quickly send me a new BT offer that is lower to get me to BT back to them. I love it. I go back and fourth. Never had a problem. Always saved me money.
Thanks pizza. So would a lender be more apt to grant a new card if you are balance transferring a balance or would it have little to nothing to do with an approval?

Message Edited by smallfry on 05-19-2008 09:59 PM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

smallfry wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear. Say you have a balance on a Citi card and want to transfer that to a new Chase card. Would Citi be the jealous girlfriend and refuse to give you CLI's because you transferred money away from them?

Great question!  I have read that Juniper likes to CLD and/or close accounts after BTing from them, but they're moody anyway.

Otherwise, I've never heard of any other CCCs having any issues with it.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

ilovepizza wrote: Jealous maybe? In my case when I do that they quickly send me a new BT offer that is lower to get me to BT back to them. I love it. I go back and fourth. Never had a problem. Always saved me money.
Thanks pizza. So would a lender be more apt to grant a new card if you are balance transferring a balance or would it have little to nothing to do with an approval?

This is different. They can see a flag when you BT then after apply so I would not apply for new credit until balances are PIF. I have been denied for BT and then apping.

UPDATED. I might have misunderstood. Do you mean applying with a BT. No affect on being approved, however it can affect a larger CL.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-19-2008 10:27 PM
Message 7 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Great question! I have read that Juniper likes to CLD and/or close accounts after BTing from them, but they're moody anyway.
Otherwise, I've never heard of any other CCCs having any issues with it.

I could care less if Juniper shut me down they're just a placeholder now and I wish I never got involved with them. I do however care about all my other relationships. Don't want to chance it really. I am almost tempted to run up a little balance with Juniper and see if I can get a card I might not otherwise get if I showed an amount to balance transfer.
Message 8 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

This is different. They can see a flag when you BT then after apply so I would not apply for new credit until balances are PIF. I have been denied for BT and then apping.

UPDATED. I might have misunderstood. Do you mean applying with a BT. No affect on being approved, however it can affect a larger CL.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-19-2008 10:27 PM

Huh? How can you balance transfer if all your cards are paid in full? Example. Say I have little or no chance of a BOA credit card. I have a balance on my Juni I want to balance transfer to a BOA. Would BOA be more likely to approve me if I had a balance to bring with me or would my chances be the same if I didn't want to balance transfer. I see this on all applications.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.