Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfers...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Balance Transfers...

I have a few cards with balances on them. My new BoA card has zero interest for a while so I am thinking of transfering all my balances over to it and leaving my other cards all with a zero balance. It will still keep my BoA card below 50% utilization. Credit score wise is this a good decision?

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Balance Transfers...

Is the balance transfer APR 0% as well? Sometimes they're different. Also, is it gonna take you long enough to pay off the balances that your interest charges would be more than your BT fee? 

If you're not going to be able to pay it off for a while and the interest you would pay is more than your BT fee, than it's definitely an option. FICO-wise it would lower your "Cards reporting a balance" to 1 which would pop your score up a little AFAIK. 

Message 2 of 6
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

I will have to check on the transfer interest rate, but I am almost certain that it is 0%.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 3 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

What's the bt fee?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 6
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I think jsucool76 is correct.  At least in my case those "little" balances on 4 accounts when combined, created a larger single balance owed and tanked my score by 24 points.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Is the balance transfer APR 0% as well? Sometimes they're different. Also, is it gonna take you long enough to pay off the balances that your interest charges would be more than your BT fee? 

If you're not going to be able to pay it off for a while and the interest you would pay is more than your BT fee, than it's definitely an option. FICO-wise it would lower your "Cards reporting a balance" to 1 which would pop your score up a little AFAIK. 

+1

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.