Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance adjustment due to fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance adjustment due to fraud

So about 2 weeks ago I had fraud on my cap one QS.
It was for like $950 in the UK.

So they sent a new card and now when I check my acct it is negative -$950 because of a balance adjustment due to fraud.
I got a letter saying my fraud case was settled and all is good.

But it's hard to know my balance cause as I charge stuff it goes towards $0. So if I charge $100 my new balance on my acct is -$850. Will this fix itself??? So annoying
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Balance adjustment due to fraud

Did you pay the original amount?   If not, not sure why the adjustment doesn't cancel out the charge.

Also not sure why it is so annoying!  Either that is your balance, or (if the adjustment will go away) add $950 to see your real balance

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't owe $950. It was fraud. It looks like they refunded the $950 and did a balance adjustment as well so now it's negative $950
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called Cap One.

Cap One reversed the card and a day later the merchant reversed the charge as well. So now my acct is negative.

Within one too two statments, cap one will adjust my balance again to bring it back to normal. I was credited twice, that is the issue.

Message 4 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

$950 isn't that much of a big deal, just charge what you need to charge and let the whole situation play out. It will work itself out in a few days.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Alright, well good to hear you know the path to clear up the fraud charges.

You MUST pay the charges you have made, and so I would suggest erring on the side of obsession about this. As you make a charge, pay it as soon as you see it clear / post to your account. One thing that might happen out of all this is you get confused about where the minimum payment lands, and that can be a nasty surprise if you end up with a 30 day late for some reason, when the final parts of this fraud cleanup get resolved.

So I would either not use the card at all, or pay every last dollar that you charge, within a few days of it posting to the account. That's going to be a big swing in balance when they clear everything off here.

Good luck!

(modified high school football cheer: Be Obsessive, B-E Obsessive, B-E-O-B-S-E-S-S-I-V-E, Be Obsessive, Yay!) sorry for that Smiley Sad

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.