Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance and APR Question about my Discover IT card

tag
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Balance and APR Question about my Discover IT card

I have Discover IT card with balance of 1 thousand

My questions to you all is should i pay off the 1 thousand or can i carry some portion of the balance since i have zero introduction balance ( i will be paying it off way before the apr ends) after it's up to 20.99%

and my second question I just got alert from fico that my equifax fico score went up to 720 comparing my Discover to my BofA cash reward (22.99%) it's lower apr
can i call and see if i can lower my APR once the honey moon ends?

My Discover IT card is one month old

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Re: Balance and APR Question about my Discover IT card

Well you can carry balance based on the limit of your discover card. I would suggest wait till your 0% apr offer ends and then ask for a lower apr. if you do not apply for credit and have good payment history for next 1 year your scores would be much higher.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 2 of 4
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

my discover limit is 9500
and my goal is to get american express blue rewards card (I'll find out tomorrow if I'm approved or declined again)
should i be declined i think i'll reapply in a year and hopefully i'll get approved

odd that TU history only lists 1 credit card with 500 CL and nothing else <--- which amex based their decision on on the denial letter
equifax has a judgement (paid satisfied) and toyota motors negative account but overall good payment and history (720 fico score)
Experian last time i checked 676 fico

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 3 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Don't worry about leaving balances as long as you are not applying for any new credit. However, do not max out your card(s) and then make only minimum payments for extended periods of time. It does rub some lenders the wrong way. Just make sure you pay about 10-20% balance of what you owe and you should be fine.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.