Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance on Store Cards vs Bank Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance on Store Cards vs Bank Cards

I've been noticing that when I carry a balance on a Store Card it has less of an affect on my credit score than when I carry a balance on a Bank Card.  Is there any consistent truth to that being the case overall (Store Card balances have less affect on dropping score), or is that just some fluke based on my personal credit file? I'm just wondering so that I can better plan what to pay down when. Thanks for any feedback!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance on Store Cards vs Bank Cards

Never tried one or the other.  Good thing to check and see.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most store card have a higher interest rate compared to bank card. So in a financial point of view I'll pay off store card first of course it has the grace period 0% financing

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your house!

I haven't noticed a difference but I don't micromanage my credit balances. Hopefully, others will be able to provide data points.
Message 4 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I have a mix of both and never really noticed a difference. I thought there was not supposed to be one.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Are you sure you're accounting for all data changes impacting your score?  A revolving account is a revolving account and it should not matter.  What scores are you monitoing?  Which models & which CRA's?  How are you monitoring these scores?  What service(s) are you using?  How significant of a change to revolving utilization is there in these cases?  Are you sure you're aware of the report dates for your accounts and when the balances are reported (and when the CRA's actually update)?

It's very easy to mistakenly assume causality.  I'm not saying that's the case in your situation.  Just asking the above question to help confirm.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

A revolving account is a revolving account and it should not matter.

That was pretty much my thought.  No difference.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

Are you sure you're accounting for all data changes impacting your score?  A revolving account is a revolving account and it should not matter.  What scores are you monitoing?  Which models & which CRA's?  How are you monitoring these scores?  What service(s) are you using?  How significant of a change to revolving utilization is there in these cases?  Are you sure you're aware of the report dates for your accounts and when the balances are reported (and when the CRA's actually update)?

It's very easy to mistakenly assume causality.  I'm not saying that's the case in your situation.  Just asking the above question to help confirm.

I agree! And thanks for the Q's... this is exactly what I was asking for! I'm trying to figure out how this all works.  I am basing it on the alerts I receive from myfico.com when things are reported (all 3 bureaus).  You're right though, there are other factors in the background each time something reports, so it most likely is just a fluke.  So weird though... for example, around 9 months ago I opened a new store card for appliances with $2400/$3000 right out of the gate. There was little impact from this, which suprised me.  A few months later, I charged $1600/$2500 on my Chase Freedom, thinking I would miss the statement date and have that paid off before the next statement. Joke was on me though, because Chase reported my balance the next day! Scores dropped an average of 15pts across the board.  That was so frustrating because I PIF'd that thing the next week, but that was definitely a lesson learned.  Then another time, a few months later, I PIF'd Walmart $1100/$3000 and got 0 pts back, but PIF'd eBay Mastercard $300/$2500 and got like 12 points.   Another time I PIF'd the Freedom after letting $397/$2500 report, and my score DROPPED 7pts. I then PIF'd the remainder of the balance on the Store Card for Appliances... got 0pts back!!!  Crazy differences, but it could just really be that the Store Cards are reporting when everything else has a higher balance, so it is likely the overall utilization that makes it appear that my Store Cards are having less of an affect....  Interesting.  I'm going to keep watching to see. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just from what I've gathered by watching my reports, overall total utilization has a much larger impact than individual.  Also there's a formula in there somewhere about the percentage of cards that report a balance being a contributing factor.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just from what I've gathered by watching my reports, overall total utilization has a much larger impact than individual.  Also there's a formula in there somewhere about the percentage of cards that report a balance being a contributing factor.

The funny thing about that is that I started playing with Balance Transfers recently. While gardening a few months back, I tried to move around balances I was carrying so that everything would report under 30%. This raised my scores.  But when I app'd for my mortgage, the LO suggested moving it all to one or two cards for a lower DTI because I had them really spread out with lots of minimums showing.  So then I BT'd everything again, and my score actually dropped, even with all those PIFs,  because of the utilization on those cards. This is like totally a game lol.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.