Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance or no, for Amex 61 day CLI?

tag
cyclesport45
Established Member

Balance or no, for Amex 61 day CLI?

I opened a Blue Sky in October (10K), and a BCP in November (5K, the Amex computer must have penalized me for opening the Blue Sky).  I will have 2 61 day CLI opportunities soon.  Am thinking I'd like a higher limit on the BCP, but will take what I can get.  What should the balance be pre CLI attempt?  Zero?  Let the full balance post, pay, then try the CLI?  Tactics, anyone?

Chase Freedom(5.3K), Citi Double Cash (8.8K). Citi Thank You Preferred(10.2K) DCU Platinum Rewards(10K), REI Visa(9.6K) Amex Blue Sky(5K), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (20K), Crate & Barrel (3.5K) Discover IT(16.5K) CSP (28K)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Re: Balance or no, for Amex 61 day CLI?

I would suggest reading the AMEX 3x CLI tread, plus you can only request a CLI one card at a time if memory serves me correct.  GL by the way today, I just went from $7,000 to $21,000 with 544 balance on my BCE.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 2 of 8
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

If I had to choose I would request it on the BCP since that limit is a lot lower than your other one.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 3 of 8
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

With both accounts opened only weeks apart I think you'll only be allowed to do the 60 CLI on one of the card. If you try it on both I think the second request well be denied. I could be wrong though.

My experience, high usage, low reported utilization (prepay before reporting) worked.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 4 of 8
Danizzle
New Contributor

I didn't get quite the full 3x while carrying a balance. I think it was $850/$5,500.

All FICO scores as of 9.1.14: Exp 744, Eq 745, TU 764
Goal: 800+ across the board
Message 5 of 8
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I let both of my statements cut with a balance and then PIF. My BCP had a zero balance when I did my CLI last week.

Message 6 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@cyclesport45 wrote:

I opened a Blue Sky in October (10K), and a BCP in November (5K, the Amex computer must have penalized me for opening the Blue Sky).  I will have 2 61 day CLI opportunities soon.  Am thinking I'd like a higher limit on the BCP, but will take what I can get.  What should the balance be pre CLI attempt?  Zero?  Let the full balance post, pay, then try the CLI?  Tactics, anyone?

My BCE went from $10.5K to $20K with $0 reporting. I PIF just before the 61-day date. $20K is what I asked for, BTW.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@JediNeo wrote:
With both accounts opened only weeks apart I think you'll only be allowed to do the 60 CLI on one of the card. If you try it on both I think the second request well be denied. I could be wrong though.

My experience, high usage, low reported utilization (prepay before reporting) worked.

It doesn't matter how long the accounts have been opened; you can only have 1 CLI per account in 180 days. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.