Balance transfer - can you do THIS?

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Re: Balance transfer - can you do THIS?

@NRB525 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:
You can by to a cu card and the pull the cash off to pay whatever card you would like

Wouldn't that be a CA transaction? In the past, when I asked any of my CU's regarding giving me the cash to do a bt so I can be the one to pay off other cc's, they said they can print the check issued to the other cc and i can mail it myself. But they didnt want to issue the bt amount to me.

I got a no fees Personal Line of Credit from my CU. No fee cash advances means I can route that to anywhere. Currently it's just sitting in savings to be paid back, but if you want a low APR source of funds that goes anywhere, it's a good source. And FWIW, since I took the first advance on that PLOC, in mid-November, I have not seen any interest charges on the LOC. Not sure if they are going to catch that up, but for now it's free money. Smiley Happy

Milk the free money as long as you can Smiley Wink I love my PLOC from my CU's! Can't beat the no fees transactions on those. Sometimes I play around with mine online. Transfer to my checking/savings, they after several hours, pay the PLOC back lol

Message 11 of 16
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:
You can by to a cu card and the pull the cash off to pay whatever card you would like

Wouldn't that be a CA transaction? In the past, when I asked any of my CU's regarding giving me the cash to do a bt so I can be the one to pay off other cc's, they said they can print the check issued to the other cc and i can mail it myself. But they didnt want to issue the bt amount to me.

I got a no fees Personal Line of Credit from my CU. No fee cash advances means I can route that to anywhere. Currently it's just sitting in savings to be paid back, but if you want a low APR source of funds that goes anywhere, it's a good source. And FWIW, since I took the first advance on that PLOC, in mid-November, I have not seen any interest charges on the LOC. Not sure if they are going to catch that up, but for now it's free money. Smiley Happy

i typed that from my phone

credit union credit card with no cash advance, pull the cash off

bt from chase to cu

then back to chase

consider it refi of a credit card

Gotcha...now that makes sense.

You have problems posting with your phone too huh? Same here lol

Message 12 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

i typed that from my phone

credit union credit card with no cash advance, pull the cash off

bt from chase to cu

then back to chase

consider it refi of a credit card

1) BT from Chase (or other high interest card) to a card with no BT Fee, either Credit Union or Cap One, regardless of the current interest rate (it's only going to be there a week or two)

2) Wait for the Chase card to "clear" after a few days to zero balance, not necessarily to the statement date. A week is plenty of time.

3) BT from that other card, Credit Union or Cap One back to Chase to take advantage of a new BT offer, likely paying a 3% or 4% fee at that step.

I'm not clear on that step involving the CU Cash Advance, but the above three steps, I've done many times to re-set a favorable interest rate on a BT card. You just need cards outside your current bank to do it, and preferably no BT fee on the card used for the kiting.

This is referred to as "kiting a balance", floating it from one bank to another. Looked on with disfavor by many, but a legitimate way to get a better BT rate on certain funds.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 16
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info, guys. 

My husband has a fairly significant balance on a BoA card that is interest-free until August, and I'm looking ahead to figure out the next step with it after that as I don't think we'll have it completely paid off by then.  I have several empty cards with enough CL to accommodate it and considering something like that instead of him opening another card.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 14 of 16
bigbang91
Established Contributor

If you have Citi simplicity or Diamond preferred, they will send you BT checks, so you can write to whoever you want, or even to your own checking account. 

Message 15 of 16
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

I always type from my phone. ... makes things much harder to explain. ... glad someone explained the concept
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.