cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer card for high utilization?

tag
benitosolo04
Valued Member

Balance transfer card for high utilization?

Any help would be great looking for a balance transfer card with a 0% apr... might be asking a lot here ha

660 fico... and high balances...

Thanks in advance for any help.... i was looking at discover IT but have seen a lot of people get denied for that one...

AU:(2/28/15 Starting FICO's EX= 685 TU= 689 EQ= 683 Goal=750 GARDEN- 3/3/2015 Last APP- 3/3/15)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Balance transfer card for high utilization?

Chase Slate but may have to recon the limit depending on how much you need 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I agree with myjourney, chase slate, if denied call for recon and let them know you are trying to pay down balances and want to use card for a BT.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The downside with high utilization (assuming across the board on your CCs) that getting another CC may actually not happen as expected.  Lenders are typically hesitant to extend any additional credit when your other TLs display a high proportion of balances.

Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to finstar said.

You can also check out citi simplicity. It comes with 18-21 months 0% apr, which is a tad longer than chase slate, but there is a 3% BT fee.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 8
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

Slate from Chase was specifically offered as a balance transfer card if I remember correctly. Though, honestly, if you feel confident enough to try, I'd definitely lean towards the Discover It.

Awesome balance transfer option, awesome customer service, and discover is pretty rad when it comes to CLIs (in my experience at least).

Plus, the It card has rewards. So, once you paid that puppy down, you'd actually have a use for it (unless you get a wicked low APR on the slate; but still).

I'm not sure what your credit report looks like exactly, but I was approved for one with the same ballpark fico. Smiley Happy

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

The downside with high utilization (assuming across the board on your CCs) that getting another CC may actually not happen as expected.  Lenders are typically hesitant to extend any additional credit when your other TLs display a high proportion of balances.

+1.  Chase would only give me $2K on a Slate with the highest APR in the bracket with high utilization.  Once I dropped my utilization (no other changes aside from several months time) I was getting much higher limits with the best interest rates for cards with brackets.  High utilization can be severely limiting.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.